Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from very winter-like Finland.

I'm a new member on this site and owner of CX500c (-81, 85.000 km). I've driven two years with my CX and very satisfied with it. There is one question I like to ask you.

I've noticed that there is a certain kind of whining engine noise, which is typically audiable in lower rew's. You can hear this noise eg. in this videoclip, especially when this qyu is driving to the street.

My analysis is, that this noise comes from non-hypoid primary gear. Is it so? Is there any reason to be worried? It would also be interesting to know, does the different kind oils have any effect to the noise? I've used normal mineral oil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2DtH27yi-k

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Sounds like the normal "dead sexy" CX clutch whirl to me... if the "wind" noise filter on your camera is turned on it will attenuate lower frequencies. I believe this and the position of the microphone (up on top) is making this noise seem louder than the motor... or possibly at these lower than low temps, it's just taking a while to get the clutch basket lubed up enough to be quiet(er)

All motorcycles make terrible gearbox noises if you can get close enough to hear them over the combustion noise...... this is why HD riders like loud pipes, they don't save lives. loud Pipes save tough guy wanna bees from the humiliation of hearing what a piece of crap their 10k+ bikes geartrain and engines really are...

IMHO--- The HD phenomena is Kinda the "disco" of biking.

If I have offended anyone with my opinion, I would suggest getting a tougher shell

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Sounds to me as if we've got a bit of clutch slippage, wrong oil or wrong oil used in the past.

What's the histroy of the bike?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Sounds to me as if we've got a bit of clutch slippage, wrong oil or wrong oil used in the past.

What's the histroy of the bike?

You know, watching the vid more closely... there is one point at which the revs go up to 8k or better, and it looks like the speedo is not replying... maybe it is a slipping clutch.

The revs and speed seem to be ok. I assume I'm looking at KPH and not MPH.

A CX with a 16" rear, turning 5.5 k rpm should be doing aprox 50mph in top gear.

It's hard to tell with the short shifts below 4500rpm ... without sitting on it and dropping the clutch... making a few speed shifts etc I cannot do much but guess.

P,S, Where is the Non Hypoid Primary gear?
everything I know outside the transmission is a hypoid or bevel gear. What I'm hearing is not coming from the drive shaft area...

ThX

Vox

·
Registered
583 Posts
Guys,

I don't think that is his video.

To the OP, It sounds like the normal CX whir to me. I love how it sounds!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I don´t know about the vid belonging to the OP or not. The Avatar bike isn´t the one at the clip. Also some things (surroundings) make me believe the vid was shot somewhere in Eastern Europe, like Poland, Hungary or so.

The "whirr"/"whine" seems normal. They all do that - some do it more, some less. "Non-hypoid gears" would translate to "straight-cut".

Seems it´s time for a new speedo cable (bouncing needle). It could be the speedo itself, too. I had (on my previous Deluxe) a speedo that behaved almost exactly as this one, only far worse. The bouncing went away first when I replaced the speedo itself. Not so bad on this one, as said.

But - as it probably ain´t the OP:s bike on the vid - it doesn´t matter much, does it?

Sture

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for fast responses!

At first, the CX in video isn't really my own. I guess this video is taken somewhere in Eastern Europe. But the whining sound on low rev's is just same kind as in my CX. The sound comes from front part of the engine and that's why I think it's maybe from primary gear. I've understood that they are those straight-cut gears with straight teeths and are much noisier compared to hypoid-gears usyally used eg. in car gearboxes.

Maybe I have to check also the speedo cable and clutch. The clutch seems to be working properly and not slipping. Are there any clear indicators you can analyze the condition of clutch (after you've opened the clutch cover)?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts