Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About the 'Preserve nature - wear a helmet' decal on the tank. These were made in two text colours, black and white, on a transparent decal. It is obvious that the black tanks had the white text decals, but what about the red and blue tanks? Did these have white or black decals?

Obviously a question for the purists

Michael

·
Registered
128 Posts
MGR1

Here's another option for you....

I have an '82 GL500I (Silverwing)

It is the Burgundy (wineberry?)color.

The sticker you are talking about on my gas tank is gold text with a gold border on a black background.

So I would vote "other".

Greg

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sorry Michael,

I thought you were asking more of a general question, not specific to the certain color of tanks....

I didn't mean to add to make your search more difficult.....

Greg

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
MGR1

Here's another option for you....

I have an '82 GL500I (Silverwing)

It is the Burgundy (wineberry?)color.

The sticker you are talking about on my gas tank is gold text with a gold border on a black background.

So I would vote "other".

Greg

2nd that, same for me.

·
Registered
426 Posts
About the 'Preserve nature - wear a helmet' decal on the tank. These were made in two text colours, black and white, on a transparent decal. It is obvious that the black tanks had the white text decals, but what about the red and blue tanks? Did these have white or black decals?

Obviously a question for the purists

Michael

I'm pretty sure that the blue tank originally had black text on a transparent decal. The pictures below show it. Same tank before and after restoring. I am assuming the tank has never been worked on before because of the way it looked. So I believe it was original when I started the restoration.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I should know, since I have one of each colour, available in Europe 1980 - 1982. Of the standard model, that is. Black, Candy Radiant Blue and Candy Burgundy Red.

I wasn´t sure what colours the caution labels are, so walked out to the garage for a look. On the black bike it´s white lettering. One the blue one it´s black. About the red one I can´t tell for sure. It sits in a garage 1150 km from here, but my memory (not always 100 % reliable) says white text.

I had an -80 Deluxe in Candy Presto Red (I think). White text on that one too.

As I´ve got it, the early (1978 - 79) blue standard model had a slightly different colour from later models. Candy Sapphire Blue. Don´t know about the label on that one.

I ought to get out more...

Sture

·
Registered
396 Posts
OK - I'm new to this whole thing.

#1: that tank restore is beautiful

#2: I love the decal, but it seems like there must be a back story to these things? I'd love to hear the history behind them (I'd also love to get one for my tank, but don't want to put something on my bike that someone else would misconstrue as something else).

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
About the history of these I know nothing. I suppose Honda put them there for one reason only - it seemed a good thing to do! And it costed nothing. Maybe to give us the feeling they were showing some sort of responsibility?? Maybe some laws, somewhere, forced them to do it - I don´t know.

The variant with black lettering is still available from Honda. I keep one of these for the future. The label on the restored blue tank isn´t identical - maybe from some other model??

As far as I remember (no tank here, inside the house) this is how they look - at least do mine.

Sture

·
Registered
396 Posts
About the history of these I know nothing. I suppose Honda put them there for one reason only - it seemed a good thing to do! And it costed nothing. Maybe to give us the feeling they were showing some sort of responsibility?? Maybe some laws, somewhere, forced them to do it - I don´t know.

The variant with black lettering is still available from Honda. I keep one of these for the future. The label on the resored blue tank isn´t identical - maybe from some other model??

Sture

So the one that you put on your tank - where did you get it (it appears that you added it after you restored the tank); and can you buy the other one that you pictured directly from Honda right now?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
The restored blue tank is Jimi´s - not mine.

CMSNL (Dutch) list the label above (with yellow backing) as available. I bought one several years ago from my local Honda dealer. It´s still waiting for something to happen....

I´m pretty sure your Honda dealer could get one for you, now if he can be arsed to bother..

Sture

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.