Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Prepping Chrome for paint

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  kingston73 
#1 ·
I have several chrome pieces that I want to paint since the chrome is in bad shape. I dont really want to spend the money on media blasting and poweder coating or rechroming. So my thought is to repaint with a durable Black spraycan paint of like the hammered finish stuff.

I just want to know what the best way to prep the parts for best adhesion of the paint.

Thanks

#2 ·
I just want to know what the best way to prep the parts for best adhesion of the paint.

I painted the chrome front fender on my (see my avatar) 78 CX500 using the Hammered Copper paint. What I did was to use a green kitchen scrubby pad to get the chrome all scratched up good, and some sandpaper on the rust on the back side.

The paint seemed to adhere well. I do have to say I thought the hammered finish would be cool, but was disappointed afterward with the look.

#4 ·
If you can get hold of a spray can of "etch primer" it has some sort of acid in it that burns into the metal.

Its excellent for chrome and plated items.

#5 ·
If you're going to paint, get a catalyzed etching primer and high-fill catalyzed primer. Quality primer makes a WORLD of difference.

Never grind off chrome. Sand it (dry) by hand with 200 to 300 grit, then etching primer, then sandable primer, then sand with progressively finer grain until about 600. Then shoot a solid-color single-part catalyzed paint. Leave it as-is or color sand and rub out with a buffer. Clearcoat only necessary if you're doing candies, pearls, or metal flecks.

You can get all this stuff at a real automotive paint store, and an inexpensive siphon paint gun at Harbor Freight.

Charles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.