Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just completed the 'triple by-pass' on my '80 CX500A. Before I install the rear cover, all the threads say to check that the gears are all there but I am unable to get any by turning over the motor and pushing either up or down on the selector lever. No disassembly of any gear selector components took place during the works, aside replacing the selector arm return spring, so I would really value someone's advise on what I am doing wrong or what could have happened here please.
CX500 GEAR SELECTOR PIC.jpg
Thanks in advance and apologies of this was already covered but I cannot find it.

·
Super Moderator
21,622 Posts
Slip on the output shaft and waggle it back and forth while running the gears up and down.

Test again as soon as you get the rear cover on with 4 of the large bolts snugged up.

Your assembly looks correct.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CHPHREAK, tried that just now but there is nothing when pressing the lever up or down! As I mentioned, I didn't disturb the gear box or mechanism so am at a dead-end here and I don't have the skills to be going inside the crankcase.

Any other ideas, clutch mabybe?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a again CXPHREAK.

Just on the job right now and no mater how fast I turn the output shaft, d in either direction, no dice! However, when I turn the 10mm bolt on the drum, I can get all the gears when tuning the shaft.

Pic's below of shift arm and drum pins which don't look worn?
CX500 GEAR SELECTOR ARM.jpg CX500 GEAR SELECTOR DRUM.jpg

·
Registered
360 Posts
Shift lever is installed, and punch marks correctly aligned? I had to brace the engine a bit by holding it while I tested the shifting to get enough leverage.

·
Registered
104 Posts
A very timely post for me too......took a little while to get the hang of applying the gear mech whilst tweaking the drive, but 5 minutes of failure & getting the feel by using a socket on the 10mm nut, eventually led to me finding the knack of getting the gears to click up & down & in & out of neutral.

Can't see any punch-marks on mine, but it seems to be working ok.

Could just be a 'knack' ? I found it more of a 'tweak' of the drive shaft at the right time as I 'gentled' the gear-lever rather than revolving it ?

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
You need to be rotating the of the engine while you try to shift it. Hook up a 17mm socket to the front of the crank under the cap at the front of the engine.

·
Registered
357 Posts
You need to be rotating the of the engine while you try to shift it. Hook up a 17mm socket to the front of the crank under the cap at the front of the engine.
I wouldn`t advise this, it`s far too awkward an operation and completely unecessary.
Spinning the engine over via the crank simply replicates what you are achieving by waggling the output shaft back and forth - but much harder to do.
The reason we waggle the shaft is to align the dogs in the gear pinnions so that they engage with each other, if they don`t align it won`t go into gear and the gear lever won`t move much.

Jon, you`re selector mechanism looks set up just fine - i think you are being too gentle with the gear selecter lever - there`s a lot of spring tension to overcome plus added friction / sticktion in the selecter mechanism itself - add to that the engine isn`t designed to select gears at such a low `engine speed`as we are simulating by the waggling ouput shaft.
Imagine the force you have to apply with your foot when riding, it`s similar to that, maybe a bit more when the engine is cold/dissasembled and on the bench.

Give it some more pressure on the lever.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I was in Murray's shop a few weeks ago and watched him do this exact process, and he temporarily attached the foot shifter lever to the splined shifter shaft, and operated the shifter lever with his hand while waggling the output shaft. I presume it gave him the leverage he needed to change the gears.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts