Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bike runs fine for the first 10k then from 4000 to 5500 rpm if you try to accelertate it bogs down.

If you accelerate very slowly it is ok.

It also cruises fine in this rpm range but need to gear down to get the rpm over 5500 to pass or climb a hill

I have swaped out the cdi unit ( didn't make a difference )

I put new plug ends on when I put the new plug ends on it worked fine untill I had put 150k on then the trouble started again.

·
Registered
595 Posts
My bike has seemingly been doing this or something similar lately, though I don't know the exact RPMs...haven't payed attention, which is why I haven't started a thread on it yet. I have rebuilt plug caps, iridium plugs, tecoparts coils, and an ignitech. It does seem kind of...off...when accelerating through the 4500-5500 range, but I really can't describe it. It's especially noticeable when engine braking a bit before a curve until the engine gets around the 5000 RPM mark, and then trying to accelerate. It feels kind of jumpy...not smooth at all.

Anyhow, Longhaul, you should invest in an ignitech, and all of the other things I've listed. It should take care of your issues, I doubt that they are something other than ignition related. I'm just stating my issues to see if I can prod the hivemind to saying what else could cause it other than ignition.

Or it could be the carbs needing cleaned too. Never know.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your ideas I did swap out the coils as I had a couple extra made a big difference but still not perfect after 250k started failing again so I'm thinking it is a coil issue the Honda dealer near me is usless and one shop has used ones for $50.00 which I am not paying for coils 33 years old ( crook ) Is there anyone that knows of anyone near me Guelph, toronto ontario area that can help. I can get new ones from a shop in British columbia but will take 3 weeks I really wanted to go on this trip in a week and a half but dosen`t look like it is going to happen

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Thanks for your ideas I did swap out the coils as I had a couple extra made a big difference but still not perfect after 250k started failing again so I'm thinking it is a coil issue the Honda dealer near me is usless and one shop has used ones for $50.00 which I am not paying for coils 33 years old ( crook ) Is there anyone that knows of anyone near me Guelph, toronto ontario area that can help. I can get new ones from a shop in British columbia but will take 3 weeks I really wanted to go on this trip in a week and a half but dosen`t look like it is going to happen

I bought these but it took two weeks for them to get to me:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0490961005&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Seem to work well also.

I would think any Universal CDI coil from a 250cc dirt bike could work.

Look at local motocross shops.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
My solution to this same issue may have been coincidental. I felt like my RPM range was tighter; like 4000-5000. What seemed to resolve the issue for me was running MMO ( Marvelous Mystery Oil ) in a full tank of fuel. Drove through the tank of fuel in a single photag related trip. Rode about 150 miles at mostly interstate speeds. I noticed when nearing home the issue was resolved. The bike has run smooth and responsively in the 4000-5000 rpm range ever since.

Good luck in achieving resolution.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My solution to this same issue may have been coincidental. I felt like my RPM range was tighter; like 4000-5000. What seemed to resolve the issue for me was running MMO ( Marvelous Mystery Oil ) in a full tank of fuel.

Good luck in achieving resolution.

I'm also having this issue my problems are in the 4500rpm - 5500rpm range (below 4000rpm and above 6000rpm it runs well). It seems to happen more when the weather is warmer but I'm not sure. Blue Fox helped me clean my carbs (per Larry's book) at the beginning of spring. We put the old air cut-off valves back on even though they were questionable. I've replaced the old ACV with new ones but the new ones have stronger springs. This didn't seem to effect the issue. My problem seems to be intermittent but I can count on it happening every day. It seemed to me that there was either blockage of some port or mechanism in my carb or I just had something sticking in my carb. I've run two tanks of "Gunk" carb cleaner through the tank with very little improvement. I have been wondering about MMO I will give that a try ASAP.

I ride two and from work each day (5 miles one way).

Longhaul, Cramer, or anyone else do we have a definitive fix for this problem?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.