Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Has anyone powdercoated the exhaust collector box? Was it successful?

The powder is usually cured at 200°C (390°F), but I'm not sure how high temperatures the paint withstands before it starts to flake or break down. I have not had the opportunity to measure the temperature of the collector box. Has anyone tried with an IR temp meter?

Regards,

Michael

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I have not done it yet, but there have been several CX'ers on this board who have. There are high heat powder coats which are used for parts like this, they cure at higher temps.

There are also more expensive alternatives such as jet coat and ceramic coating.

None of the people who powder coated the collectors have ever posted any problems IIRC, and were very happy with the results.

But, like all exhaust parts, most of your corrosion will take place from the inside out, so I don't know if the longevity of the collector will be increased by powder coating or not.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had a stock horseshoe muffler and headpipes for an early GL1000 black heat-coated at my local powdercoaters. No problems. It's not thick like the low-temp powder so you can see the pits.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Yes, I did. I selected a "high heat ceramic" powder coat. I was quite happy with the result when I got it back, and the first season, however, it looks like I'll get it done again. I don't know if it's the harsh (springtime salty roads) that have cause it to prematurely rust. The joints are great - which is the usual first to rust, but there are little patches of rust that should not have come through in only 2 years. The PC shop has told me they will do it again - this time with a thicker coat and longer heating time. He assures me that the PC is the way to go, in fact he went even farther and suggested doing the down pipes when they need it. I did have him do the Exhaust Flanges (hold head pipes to the cylinder heads) and they look spectacular. You can just barely see the top of the crossover in this picture, but clearly the exhaust flanges. (yeah, yeah, before anybody get on me about it, the rusty bolts have long since been replaced!)<div>
</div><div>
</div><div>(okay... google chrome doesn't do pictures well, and I can't use Firefox at the office...</div><div>just go to the picture here:https://cx500-restoration-page.googlegroups.com/web/100_1976.jpg?hl=en</div>

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Yes, I did. I selected a "high heat ceramic" powder coat. I was quite happy with the result when I got it back, and the first season, however, it looks like I'll get it done again. I don't know if it's the harsh (springtime salty roads) that have cause it to prematurely rust. The joints are great - which is the usual first to rust, but there are little patches of rust that should not have come through in only 2 years. The PC shop has told me they will do it again - this time with a thicker coat and longer heating time. He assures me that the PC is the way to go, in fact he went even farther and suggested doing the down pipes when they need it. I did have him do the Exhaust Flanges (hold head pipes to the cylinder heads) and they look spectacular. You can just barely see the top of the crossover in this picture, but clearly the exhaust flanges. (yeah, yeah, before anybody get on me about it, the rusty bolts have long since been replaced!)<div>
</div><div>
</div><div>(okay... google chrome doesn't do pictures well, and I can't use Firefox at the office...</div><div>just go to the picture here:https://cx500-restoration-page.googlegroups.com/web/100_1976.jpg?hl=en</div>

None of the links worked for me ...

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK. Thanks for the replies. I understand that all who have done this used a hi-temp variant powder? What about the ordinary powder that cures at 200°C (390°F)? I ask because it seems that its the only type that is avaiable here.

·
Read Only
121 Posts
CXSarnia - The powder coating looks great! In fact the entire bike looks great. Did the folks that did the powder coating say anything about chrome. I read something about new chrome powder coats that look as good as chrome plating but are not as toxic to work with.

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
Regarding the above picture, it sure must have felt kind of "weird" putting those corroded nuts back on..............

Sorry for the thread jack.

·
Registered
835 Posts
yeah yeah, I've heard it before. It's one of those things, when you get to this stage, and the only two nuts remaining look like that - well you use them anyway. I have since replaced both with new.

As per the 'chrome powder coat' - I tried it. My foot pegs were quite trashed, so I figured what the heck. The coating looked pretty good, but being underfoot didn't stand up too well to 'boot-rub', and I have since replaced the foot pegs with newer ones with much better chrome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts