Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some members have powder coated their wheels themselves in the past and I would like to know how the rim was hung/placed in the oven. I am curious how you hung the rim in a household oven or if you carefully placed it on a rack. Apologies if this has been shown before, but I can not remember/find the build that showed the set up.

I have been powder coating parts using my work's setup for several months so I have some experience. Last week I had my coworker sandblast my wheels for me so I could powder coat them. Naturally the large oven at work decided to break the same day and the oven we normally use is too small to fit the wheels. I purchased my own powder coat gun and today I am picking up a used convection oven so that I can do my wheels. I just want to have my bike together so that I can ride to the Mods vs Rockers bike show this weekend...

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I would imagine they hung it through the brake rotor bolt holes since you shouldnt powder coat where the rotor will seat.......Im guessing (i dont PC)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Kameron. I was thinking of putting a rod through where the axel rides that could sit on the groves that the oven trays normally ride on, but then I saw a picture of people powder coating their car rims and they had them sitting on the rack...

I am just trying to figure out how to get the best results with my improvised set up, as I have only done smaller/simpler parts and that was with a nicer set up for hanging and baking

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Hanging it through the axle hole should work fine especially if you are using a home oven and have to have the rim horizontal

1 - 4 of 4 Posts