Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the very beginning stages of my first project - a '78 CX500 restoration/customization. Just removed the exhaust system last night, and my h-box looks pretty rough. I think it's usable, but definitely needs refinished. I have some other items I am getting ready to take in for powder coating, and was considering powder coating my heat shields and the h-box. Does anyone know if powder coating will withstand the heat? If not, I will probably resort to blasting them and applying grill paint instead.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
835 Posts
I used a ceramic powdercoat on my h-box. (my shields are still in nice chrome shape). The colour I selected turned out to be like a brushed aluminium when it was done, and it looks superb, however, I'm thinking it didn't get enough of a coat. There are a couple of patches that showed up shortly after installation. The guy agreed, and next time I have a need to take off the exhaust, he'll do the H-box again. Otherwise, not to worry, powder coating with a hi-heat or ceramic finish - is the way to go, compared to do it yourself BBQ paint.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used a ceramic powdercoat on my h-box. (my shields are still in nice chrome shape). The colour I selected turned out to be like a brushed aluminium when it was done, and it looks superb, however, I'm thinking it didn't get enough of a coat. There are a couple of patches that showed up shortly after installation. The guy agreed, and next time I have a need to take off the exhaust, he'll do the H-box again. Otherwise, not to worry, powder coating with a hi-heat or ceramic finish - is the way to go, compared to do it yourself BBQ paint.

Thanks for the advice! Good to hear - I definitely prefer the powder coat finish. I am also kicking around the option of buying the Mac Performance 2-into-1 exhaust, but I think I will probably stick with putting the stock head pipes and refinished h-box back on and maybe try to pick up some Dyna mufflers to replace the stock mufflers.

·
Registered
154 Posts
yep, ceramic is the way to go with exhausts. it can withstand the heat. and they even have a ceramic that looks like chrome if you were to want it.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
1,089 Posts
I am in the very beginning stages of my first project - a '78 CX500 restoration/customization. Just removed the exhaust system last night, and my h-box looks pretty rough. I think it's usable, but definitely needs refinished. I have some other items I am getting ready to take in for powder coating, and was considering powder coating my heat shields and the h-box. Does anyone know if powder coating will withstand the heat? If not, I will probably resort to blasting them and applying grill paint instead.

Thanks for any advice!
I had good results with header paint followed by bbq paint.

Havn't had any rust yet. I laid it on pretty thick. The guys at the powder coating didn't recommend high heat powerder coating as they said that it didn't seem to stick.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! I am about 50/50 right now on whether to put the stock exhaust back on or buy the Mac Performance 2-into-1 system. Biggest hangup for me on the MP system is the price - not sure I want to drop around $275 for it, when there's quite a bit I could add to the bike for that amount of money.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I had good results with header paint followed by bbq paint.

Havn't had any rust yet. I laid it on pretty thick. The guys at the powder coating didn't recommend high heat powerder coating as they said that it didn't seem to stick.

Weird, no problems here with high heat powdercoating on exhaust parts.

The headers might need ceramic, though. Most high heat PC run up to about 1200F.

Ceramics can do 2000+F

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
1,089 Posts
Weird, no problems here with high heat powdercoating on exhaust parts.

The headers might need ceramic, though. Most high heat PC run up to about 1200F.

Ceramics can do 2000+F

I had got some 1500 degree stuff

As I think over things; perhaps the guys in the powder coating shop said that it woudln't stick any better than header paint and they didnt' think it was worth the extra $$$, but were willing to do whatever I wanted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.