Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've wandered through the site quite a bit, just reading. I still don't know how difficult it would be to pull everything off of the bike, motor included. I do not want to take apart the motor or anything, but at some point, the bike is going to be repainted- and I am even thinking of a different paint scheme (which I'm trying to work in with the black seat)

To re-do the wiring would be nice (I still don't have a horn hooked up- different story), and to paint the frame would be wonderful. Nothing is definate yet, but I am weighing options and difficulty since I already have a zillion things to do.

Thx

·
Registered
798 Posts
Well, that is a BIG project. It will turn in to at least twice as much work/time as you expect.

It is fun, and you will learn a lot, but if you dont have another bike to ride while you have yours apart, you will wish you had left it alone.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
So I've wandered through the site quite a bit, just reading. I still don't know how difficult it would be to pull everything off of the bike, motor included. I do not want to take apart the motor or anything, but at some point, the bike is going to be repainted- and I am even thinking of a different paint scheme (which I'm trying to work in with the black seat)

To re-do the wiring would be nice (I still don't have a horn hooked up- different story), and to paint the frame would be wonderful. Nothing is definate yet, but I am weighing options and difficulty since I already have a zillion things to do.

Thx
sweet...how many miles are on the GL DAK?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Pulling the CX engine was EASY....glad I had to do it !

Gives you a chance as you say to do things you can't do otherwise.

The feeling you get when you get it all done and put back together working right and LOOKING right is well worth it !

·
Registered
816 Posts
What RickBert said!

You can do it (with help on the engine - it's heavy and I used a m/c jack to remove mine). Remember that what you don't want to remove will need to be masked off to keep the over spray at a minimum.

Remember that we are here to help.

G

·
I'm three quarters through my second 78 cb550k frame up semi-restore.2 different bikes..

Stripped it down ,blasted the frame painted ,polished and cleaned ,new harness,tires,cables ,brakes etc.etc.

The 550 does not have as many parts ,but still time consuming .....

Digital camera and a parts break down list http://www.hondaparts-direct.com/fi...ry=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=1983&fveh=3512 are two of the best tools you can have ,lots of pics on dis-assembly makes thing a lot easier on assembly.

My GL650i parts bike I have partially stripped and find there is a lot going on ,so pics and more pics....

On this re-build my problem is lack of interest as spring is here and there are so many other things too do,ride,camp,yard work.

so do it during the winter and keep at it.........just my 2.3 US cents

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I thought after 29 years, painting the frame might be a good idea. Especially if I'm thinking about going with a different look.

Yes, I know I just had the paint done, but after the fall and some bubbles, it needs to be fixed- the guy is upset one of his paint jobs did that. I'm thinking something to do with various shades of tan/ brown....

I have an idea- but need to find a pic of a Silverwing that I can color/ draw on to get it just right

IDK. Probably will stay with what I have right now- it's a head turner for sure! I have people who come in to work all the time walking up to the bike and checking it out. Earlier in the week I had some girls drive by in a car and yell out 'Nice bike!!'- and people wave. Not just bikers, but people in cars, the little kids that were outside playing yesterday.

I like it, but color decision is a problem for me. I usually take the cheaper alternative and just color my hair... LOL

We'll see, if I do anything it'll be in the off season, as I lost too much ride time last year.

bandit, I posted last miles in the Riding log thread, so IDK off hand- I've been riding it more since then! LOL

That touches off another thing..... $58.50 yesterday to tank up my 2006 Pontiac Torrent. Screw that- I'm riding the bike whenever possible this year!!!!!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
$58.50 yesterday to tank up my 2006 Pontiac Torrent.

I put $75 in my 94 Astro last night at a lowly $1.25/litre and it got me just under 3/4 tank. I don't buy gas, I invest in it...

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
I believe WisconsinCx and myself stripped one down in just a bit over an hour. It really just depends on how nuts you want to go.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe WisconsinCx and myself stripped one down in just a bit over an hour. It really just depends on how nuts you want to go.

Easiest way possible to paint the frame

My bike is pretty good mechanically- just in the visual dept I think it's lacking. Esp with the dent and the now fubar'd paint. Odd thing is most people don't notice... or they're SUPER at acting surprised

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
Well if you really must drop the engine then I would also remover all the stuff from the tank back and leave the forks on the bike. Then it would be easy to paint right up to the neck with out any problems.

My truck bit me in the ass last week for $54 and it only has a small tank. Since then I have 34 miles on the truck and 200 on the bike.

·
Registered
458 Posts
2 mates and I built a running CX500 in 14 hours. from 2 piles of spares in the shed. Ran good for four hours, then the stator crapped out. Oh well, good fun.

Is the frame painted or powder coated?? from the factory.... anyone know.?

Powder coating would be more resistant to wear than paint. My 1.95 cents worth.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Our Prius usually fills up at 11 gallons, but gets on average 43-46 mpg. In 7 years of ownership, it now has 210K miles on it.

Our Mazda van fills up at 14 gallons, and gets half that mileage. Our son drives it to high school and thats about a 3 mile round trip. So it isn't driven as much.

I usually fill up the CX at around 150-165 miles (gives my bum a rest) and put in 3+ gallons, so I have been getting right around 50 mpg. This now gives me clout in the household to have a motorcycle or three.

On topic, I would strip my bike down to paint it, but have decided that now with good weather, that project can wait! I still need to finish some other things - electric fan install the most obvious one right now. Looking for a windscreen solution for the bike as well.

bear351c - would like to see more of that build you guys did. Post a link to a write up or the pictures.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just put $109.83 worth of gas in my Suburban so you babies can quit your whining now...

EDIT: I also put $6.19 into the bike yesterday

LOL..... You sound like Troy now- the convo goes something like this though....

"Don't tell ME how much it costs to fill up your tank.... think of how much it costs to fill the F-350"

Me: "Yeah, but you're the one who HAD to get that truck- we don't need something that big...."

Yes, it's nice to have a pickup, in fact I miss mine and almost traded in my car for one- but I opted not to basically because I'm financially comfortable and do not want to rock the boat. However, to get a F-350 diesel, 8ft bed- etc etc etc .... all the bells and whistles- it's a little much. In the pic of when I first got my bike, it's the silver truck in the background. That truck is obscenely big.

I have the "sensible" vehicle- where I can have my picture setup in the back during football season, carry a few passengers, and it's OK on gas.... so it irritates the hell outta me to pay that much for being 'sensible'..... add to it, I really hate my sensible car- it's the very first and very last GM I will own!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Well if you really must drop the engine then I would also remover all the stuff from the tank back and leave the forks on the bike. Then it would be easy to paint right up to the neck with out any problems.

My truck bit me in the ass last week for $54 and it only has a small tank. Since then I have 34 miles on the truck and 200 on the bike.

My suggestion as well, you can tape off your forks and the front bits and still get the frame fully covered.

My trucks been pretty consistently costing me about $55 per week, but I just changed all my oils (front, rear diffs, transfer case, transmission, and engine) to synthetic and it's given my about a 2mpg boost lately.

·
Registered
458 Posts
RAGbrian, love to help out, but, it was so intense, we didn't have time to take photos. I'll see if my mates' son took any while we were working.

This is next project...

·
Registered
835 Posts

I just put $109.83 worth of gas in my Suburban so you babies can quit your whining now...

EDIT: I also put $6.19 into the bike yesterday

I was always wondering how my bike(s) compared to my car for straight highway driving. This past weekend, I filled up the TDI (diesel) VW Jetta stationwagen with an automatic transmission, and drove to London, Ontario, and back to Sarnia. It was 218 Km (133 miles) round trip and fuel used was 8.67 Litres. (about $10.92 Cdn) I drove strictly at the speed limit, and there was no 'city' driving - all highway at approx 100km/hr or 60mph.

In L/100km that is a measly 3.97L/100 km. or represented in Mpg (US) is about 58 Mpg.

I have never achieved this kind of mileage on any of my motorcycles, however, I rarely sit at the light in my Jetta and rev the accelerator - just to hear my engine!

Unfortunately, I can no longer use the excuse of 'saving money' just to go for a ride on my bike.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.