Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang.

I have been sitting here for a few days pondering my sale of the CX. The gent I sold it to had his bucket list, so to speak. It felt like I could fulfill his needs, and hoped it would rejuvenate his life, and thus give the bike a nice home since he had one of these bikes before (a Silverwing if I recall).

I've shown him this site, and he indicated he'd come by, but hasn't to my knowledge. I have emailed him few times to see how it was going, and the first time he tried to get out on the bike he said he had the shakes and nerves so bad he only went a few blocks. I checked in with him yesterday, and he is now going to be in cancer treatment here locally for several months.

He is a bit older than me, and I worry he might not be as healthy as his mind wanted him to be when he got the bike. He hasn't mentioned any ride time other than that first nervous ride.

My heart wanted my bike to go to someone who could enjoy it fully, and I'm getting the feeling this man isn't the one to do that.

SOOOOOOO.......do I try to scrape together the money to buy it back? Or would that thought even be a good one at all?

I really am torn here, as I hate to see it just sitting. Thoughts??

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
948 Posts
We're just the messengers. I have a feeling that he values your personal contact more than the bike. Stay in touch with him and see where this leads. Those are my thoughts.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
hard shout there my friend.bad health will no doubt hit us all one day.

id buy it back at a slightly reduced price if i had the disposable income

probably just take another worry away from your purchaser.

hope his treatment woks out ok.i remember his name from the old forum.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
WOW, thats a hard one. I guess a lot depends on what the guys "feelings" are now. I know he has only taken one shakey ride, but maybe that was enough to fullfill the "bucket list". While you basically have no control over it anymore, it may not hurt to Email him and ask him if he is happy with the purchase. He may indicate he is, or maybe he WAS when he got it but now its no longer an "I need to do" item for him. He may actually feel that now he has no use for it and may be willing to sell it back to you.

Now, the fact you even posed this question shows you care more about the bike than the cash, so to be happy with YOUR decision I would try to buy it back if he will part with it. I understand you wanting the bike to be used and loved, but unfortunalty we loose all control when someone else takes it, and all we can do it hope. I may be off base but I feel that having the bike and keeping it until you can find that "special" person is probabaly what will make you happy. This is probably the reason that even if I get the Gl1000 on the road and love it, I will never part with the CX, as we have been through too much together.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hard shout there my friend.bad health will no doubt hit us all one day.

id buy it back at a slightly reduced price if i had the disposable income

probably just take another worry away from your purchaser.

hope his treatment woks out ok.i remember his name from the old forum.

What name was that, John?

Nice thoughts all.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I understand your feelings about the bike. I can certainly understand the situation with the new owner of your bike. I started riding again after a 30 some year lay-off and it was sort of traumatic getting on a bike again, I was about 70 years old then. I just knew I would just jump on the bike and ride off but it did not work that way at all. My first bike this time around was a BMW R100RT, more bike than a beginner needs but it worked out for me, finally. I hated to part with the BMW but I heard a Turbo calling so I sold the BMW to a friend and he rides it nearly every day and I am glad he has it. I think you should offer to buy the bike back, you will be happier that way and maybe save the new owner some grief. With the medical condition he may be happy to sell it back to you. Years ago I had a yearning for a certain model Triumph. The dealer sold one and told me the owner had not ridden it since he took it home. The guy took lessons and learned to ride, sort of. He rode the bike home and as far as I know he never rode it again but he would not sell it to me, it just sat in his garage.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
What name was that, John?

Nice thoughts all.
did we not have a member on the old forum with the name Melancholy or something similar?

probably just a coincidence you used that word,not meaning a name,but an adjective

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
did we not have a member on the old forum with the name Melancholy or something similar?

probably just a coincidence you used that word,not meaning a name,but an adjective

Ah, that's just a coincidence then, as I know he did not know about this forum.

I will ponder some more, and many thanks for all of the reflections posted. It gives me something to correlate with.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
just complimententing the question Ramp shows your worth

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Joel

Why did you see the bike in the first place? Needed the money, not using it,.....?

Possibly just owning the bike is enough for this guy right now. Or maybe ask another member posted your interaction with this guy is a good thing. I know that having my bike running after 10 years of sitting is good for my metal health which I have problems with depression and anxiety. I'm doing something for myself.

I have a friend who buys a new car about every 4 years or when they come close to the 100,000 mile mark. He told me that he had a guy come over and test drive the old one. The guy puts the shifter in the D position instead of the OD. My friend gets all excited and tells him that the car isn't for sale any more because he wants the car driven in the OD position. I listened to my friend but didn't say much because I know it wouldn't hurt the car to be driven this way.. Hurt fuel millage, yes.

I told my wife, "If a person who buys something from me wants to drive it off of a cliff, it's theirs to do with as they please....as long as I get my asking price". I would hope that they'd take the same care as I did......but it's out of my control.

Personally, I wouldn't put myself in a financial bind just to get the bike back in use! Just my opinion.

Respectfully,

Dan

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We're just the messengers. I have a feeling that he values your personal contact more than the bike. Stay in touch with him and see where this leads. Those are my thoughts.

Ten, there is a lot of meaning in what your wrote, and I sincerely want to thank you for that. I am not usually one to push someone when I know times are hard, so that is why I do write him now and then. The fact he does reply shows he has personal feelings about the deal as well. I'm almost getting the feeling he might be scared to admit that he made a choice he could not use to his advantage. Or it became apparent he realized he made the wrong decision, and doesn't want to say it, out of respect to me. I don't know.

I will write him again here in a bit to see if he will open up a bit more, because most of the email replies he makes are short and not very detailed.

I most certainly am more concerned about his health than the bike, yet I do want the bike to be where it is best suited.

More pondering ahead..........

·
Registered
329 Posts
Joel, Your bike might be one more thing that he gets to look forward too. Sometimes hope can be the most powerful thing in someones recovery. I know you were careful in screening potential buyers....stay in contact and hope for the best, IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
I would let it go. Not forget it but let it go. If by chance down the road it comes for sale then it's possible to get it back but it's probably in better hands with a person that's not going to use it much and has a place to store it than to a guy looking for a cafe project.

Sure I don't want to sell the Supertanker but when/if it happens I will remember it and hope that someone rides the hell out of it. Of course I might steal the tank off it first unless the offer is that good.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I got a bit of advise on the side of the track while staring at what was left of a race car I spent over 3 years putting together, it has served me very well many other times since.

"Don't ever love anything that can't love you back." It's just a chunk of metal which survived normal attrition up to now, the most I'd do, if tell the new owner you'd like dibs on it if he decides to get rid of.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
If he lives reasonably close to you, maybe you could offer to go over to where he lives and go for a ride with him to help him get the feel for the bike again,,if he is well enough to ride. Maybe having another bike along would make him feel a bit safer.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Having been a medical practitioner for 20+ years, I can say there may be a therapeutic benefit of the guy owning 'his' bike. Having something to look forward to is VERY important. There are huge benefits in a new friend to help him relive his memories of better times. I, personally, would not offer to buy back the bike unless he initiated that conversation. If he does, then do, if you wish. Your suggestion to 'get it back from him', while you are trying to be being helpful, may make him acutely aware of the possible bad outcomes of the cancer.

Overall suggestion, just be a friend. A new biker buddy, etc. See where it goes from there. Just my thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I did write him. And I was not surprised at his reply. Not at all.

He has a mindset that said basically that I could buy it back, if I wanted. I might, but then I'd feel bad for taking away his dream.

He clearly can't effectively ride bikes anymore, he made that clear.

So, what my girlfriend and I discussed tonight puts this in a light I think I can manage. I will try to help him sell it to someone else who can do with it what I had hoped, and recoup his outlay.

I haven't crafted the email to him yet, but I think this is a solution I can live with. I can't afford to buy it back right now, so I hope assisting will help both of us.

Joel in the Couve.......and very much melancholy still.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I respect what you are doing, Joel. Somebody'll show up to ride that bike.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Eh, the turns life take....................

The latest is this. My honey and I are going to drive up to the buyers place tomorrow. I will ride the CX back here to resale it.

Fill in details are this. Bob had some serious health things escalate, and he can no longer ride. He will be in heavy medical hands for cancer for a good long time, and I hope only the best for him, in every way. I need to unburden him from this deal so he can focus on getting what he has left in life.

I did not see this coming. I didn't realize how much value the words "bucket list" really meant to him, and I am so sad he can't fulfill it. But I won't hold him to this as a thing that can't be rectified.

I will remarket the bike on his behalf, forwarding all the funds to him. I have no desire at this point to make any profit off of it, I just want him free from the fret and worry.

And I want (so does he) the bike to go to a worthy person who can appreciate and utilize it.

Insert the definition of melancholy, again........................

Joel in the Couve

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Poser.....

He has not done anything with the papers, i.e. title, etc. I sent a form to the state regarding the sale. If I ride it back, with the papers, do I control the bike and everything? Legally where am I?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.