Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm new here and first wanted to thank all of you for your inspiration to start a project like one of these bikes. I found a 1982 GL500 interstate and think I am getting a really good deal. I'll put images below but the owner said it was garage kept and only has 13,000 miles. It is her dad's who passed away so they don't have any information about whether the carbs were jetted, the cam-chain tensioned, or other common things most owners know about their bikes. The nice lady said the bike needs new brakes and tires which I thought was weird for a low-mileage bike like that but understand with age. Just got me a little concerned about if the odometer is lying.

This is my first time restoring one of these bikes and I want to make sure I am not getting into too challenging of a build. I am not scared of anything except God and money but seriously the wiring gives me nightmares. I am a college student and want to be creative and work with my hands over this long break before next semester.

Hopefully, some of you may have encouraging or discouraging advice on this bike.

Motorcycle Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Motorcycle Tire Motor vehicle Mode of transport Fuel tank Motorcycle Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E
1,899 Posts
Looks like it does only have 12,000 miles to me, seats in mint condition. You may have a problem with the water pump seals and the mechanical seal on the back of the camshaft. That brown stain on the back of the engine. Contact clean and dielectric gease all wiring connectors should keep away electrical problems. Stator wires (three yellow ones)are really prone to corrision. When you buy it make sure you only run it with a charged healthy battery or I garrantie you will be doing a stator replace.all the best and Welcome

Reactions: jakebukesGl500

·
Super Moderator
5,155 Posts

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,055 Posts
At that mileage, it shouldn't need new shoes or pads, but hydraulic service on the front brake might be advisable after sitting some amount of time.
Check the date codes on the tires. They'll age out, even if they look new.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Some more thoughts ...
  • Based on the condition the mileage looks legit.
  • Nice condition. What are your plans for it? It's your bike, but the purists would ask that you not chop it up.
  • Most bikes of this age have some corrosion on the brake pistons. It's just hard to avoid. Rear brake shoes are probably OK, but you should check them when you change the tires. I've re-used lots of brake shoes, but have also seen a pair become unglued from the metal parts.
  • Elderly owner + no visible mods = unlikely to have been re-jetted. Will likely need a carb cleaning.
  • Also unlikely to have butchered wiring, unless the PO added lots of farkles that aren't shown. that's more likely for Goldwing owners.
  • the tank looks good, way better than most, but check for rust especially down low and toward the seat. Ethanol gas can sit there and attract water, leading to rust like in the pic. Replacement tanks aren't cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts