Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an invite from a friend to go spend some time with his family in Enterprise, Oregon which is a ways east of us valley folk. Now, I could have zipped right down I84 and been there in seven hours, but what's the fun in that ? I decided to take a tour through the middle of the high desert, hitting as many tiny Po-dunk towns along the way I could. I'll camp about half way in, making it a two day trek each way.

Here is a link to my route:

Portland to Enterprise

I'm taking the laptop, and hoping for wifi spots along the way. I'll try and take some photo's and keep you guys updated.

Bike is packed up and I'm twenty minutes away from departure.

vrroooom vrrooooom !

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
Sounds great, bud! Be safe, and keep us posted.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
201 Posts
That sounds great !!

I love Enterprise, OR. When I first moved to the west coast, I landed in Baker City.

While I was traveling around that summer I ventured out to Joseph and Enterprise. Such a great "mountain town". Have you seen Chief Joseph Canyon, just outside the town of Joseph?

Being from the east coast, I was awestruck by those small Oregon towns you're thinking of. Great Plan !! Have fun
Take photos to share later

edit check out this site too: Oregon Motorcyclist

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok Guys, thought I would update the post. I arrived ahead of schedule on Thursday, after a cold ride in from Ukiah. I'm having problems getting photos on the laptop from the camera, so I will probably have to wait for the return trip to update that part. Suffice to say, the ride was epic !

Be sure to get over to Wallowa Lake if you get the chance, maybe even ride the gondola. Awesome scenery.

We hit Wallowa lake yesterday, suprisingly the folks I'm staying with helped build the gondola back in the day. We thought about doing it, but they're looking for twenty bucks a ticket and I need to preserve my beer money. We hit up the Terminal gravity brewery yesterday and bought two cases of IPA for $1 per beer. I don't have any extra space to bring it back so I guess I'd better keep drinking !

That sounds great !!

I love Enterprise, OR. When I first moved to the west coast, I landed in Baker City.

While I was traveling around that summer I ventured out to Joseph and Enterprise. Such a great "mountain town". Have you seen Chief Joseph Canyon, just outside the town of Joseph?

Being from the east coast, I was awestruck by those small Oregon towns you're thinking of. Great Plan !! Have fun
Take photos to share later

edit check out this site too: Oregon Motorcyclist

Shoreride, this area is incredible. Right now it's Cheif Joseph days in the town of Joseph. The honkytonk taverns all have live music and they're are a lot of people in town for the rodeo. We're going tonight, should be good times.

I promise, I'll update this thread with some pics as soon as I get home.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey John,

It sounds like your trip is going well so far. I wish I could have gone with you.

Don't drink too much and stay out of mud puddles. Keep us all posted, ride safely, and

lets go for a ride when you get back.

-D

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, I'm a little late updating this, I know. I didn't have interweb or cell service where I was staying and when I got back I had a shit-ton of life to catch up on. But here's how it went.

DAY 1

I was really on the fence as to whether I should take this trip or not. It came down to a game time decision the night before whether I was going to go or stay home. One of my buddies invited me to stay with his in-laws who have a place in Enterprise. They're great people and even though I didn't know them very well they were more than happy to let me hang out for a couple of days. There were a lot of reasons I shouldn't have taken this trip, but the evening before I was going to leave I just decided that if I didn't, I would regret it later. Apparently, I'm smart like that....

I tried to pack a minimal amount of stuff. My toolkit was extensive, but I still had some concerns about the bike. The GL had done a lot of day trips up to 100 miles away or so, but this was further than she'd ever gone and to some of the most remote parts of the state. If I had a breakdown it would have been bad....really bad.

My concerns were soon overtaken with the joy of being on the road. I left portland about 8am and went east on 26 through Mt. Hood. It was cold and in anticipation of the desert I didn't layer like I should have. I stopped for coffee in Government camp to warm up a little and add layers. About thirty miles from Govt. Camp and I'm in a totally different climate. This is the view of Mt. Hood from just outside of Maupin.

After this I started to really get comfortable in the saddle and appreciate the views. The bike was running flawlessly. Fossil is a town that's notorious around here with the motorcycle crowd. Fossil has a rich history of geology and farming and is filled with some of the nicest people you've ever met, but that's not what it's famous for amongst the two wheel crowd.

Next stop was the Antelope Cafe. Antelope currently has a population of about 200 people but in the eighties there was this guy they called the rajneeshee who tried to create a "utopia" here. He would ship in homeless people by the busloads from Portland and surrounding areas, put them in red robes and fill there head with nonsense. Eventually, the Rajneeshee's tried to poison the county council members. The head rajneeshee, not wanting to go to prison fled back to India and the group disapaited. Not nearly as famous for their burgers, but they should be.

After lunch and some stretching I kept on going with a goal to make it to Spray by the end of the evening. I was ahead of schedule and the bike was doing great. It started to warm up some more but I was still pretty comfortable.

The next 100 miles or so was this:

I'm on the North end of the John Day painted hills area. This road follows the John Day river which is nice because it keeps the air temp down quite a bit.

I got to Spray ahead of schedule, and it was a really nice town, but I wasn't ready to stop for the night. This was an irresistible swimming hole outside of Spray on the John Day river.

Kept going to a town called Long creek. Terrible town. The river had flowed away from the road and now I was just traveling long straight aways through the hot desert. I thought about stopping for the night, but the only camping was an RV park that wanted an outrageous amount of money just to pitch a tent. Screw that, keep going.

I started North towards Ukiah. The scenery changed quite a bit with more trees. I started to follow the Grande Rhonde river that cooled down the air temps almost to the point of being cold. I ended up staying in a campground just outside of Ukiah 304 miles away from home. Interestingly enough, the folks camped next to me live about ten blocks away from my house here in Portland and were Salt of the earth people who gave me cold coors light. Best coors light I've ever had, after driving through the desert all day.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Day 2

Day two was a bit shorter ride than anticipated. I had done a hundred extra miles the day before, so I just had about 140 remaining. The campground I was staying at was smack dab in the middle of the Umatilla forest. I woke up around six and it was chilly but I was eager to get going. I realized pretty quickly that I was underdressed and had to stop about twenty miles down the road and layer up.

This was the creek that ran along side the road.

Despite my frozen fingers and no-doubt slow reflexes I managed to avoid hitting two deer a couple of jackrabbits and numerous chipmunks who wanted a closer look at my bikes front tire. It was a little intense but after about sixty miles I was in La Grande. I was hoping to make a quick stop for breakfast here and then keep moving. At this point I started to get pretty terrible about taking pictures. I was less than 100 miles from my destination and I just cruised through it. I've got to do better about that.

I made it to Enterprise by 11 am and quickly realized that the only thing going on was to sit on the porch and drink beer.....and that was perfect for me.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Day 3 - kind of

My time in Enterprise was fantastic. In three days I went to a Rodeo, and Honkytonk bar, a Parade, Fly fishing a brewery and a Distillery. Combine that with about three cases of IPA and a bottle of Rum and it was good times. I was sad to go but also eager to get back on the bike. I decided on a little different route this time. I wanted to see Hells canyon on the way back, even though it wasn't really on the way and I wanted to travel a little further south this time. Here is my route.

Enterprise to Portland

This was the view from the House I was staying at. Good stuff, Huh ?

Those are the Wallowa mountains in the background. I headed East from here to find the road to Intersect Halfway. This is another Motorcycle Mecca type of experience.

The road was not in that great of shape and I had to be careful, because there were huge patches of loose gravel in the road. From the lookout I did get a couple of nice shots.

I didn't bring my sparkly jumpsuit, otherwise I would've jumped it.

From there, it just got freakin' hot. I made it to halfway to find a smartass gas pump attendant and a shitty club sandwich. I don't know exactly what happened but my mood turned south. It was upwards of 100 degrees now and for the next few hours I had straightaway stretches of desert that felt like I pointed a hair dryer at my face. The plan was to make it to Mitchell that night. It was a town that I remember from my childhood and would be about 250 miles into the trip.

Maybe it was all the beer I had been drinking, but I started to feel pretty dehydrated. Then, like a miracle, I came upon this.

and parked here to give the GL some much needed cool down time.

It's probably hard to tell from the first picture, but it's a natural spring with about forty degree water flowing out of it. It was just what I needed to keep going.

Next stop was this viewpoint of the John Day fossil beds

The pictures don't really do this area any justice. I highly recommend anyone in the area to make time to see this area.

I was grinding it out even though fatigue was strong. I stopped in the town of John Day and looked at calling it a night and decided to keep going. I bought some emergency rations in case I would end up outlaw camping near the river or something on the way back.

I was counting the miles until Mitchell when I saw this herd of Antelope

This surprised me when I was riding down the road and saw these guys just outside the fence. I flipped a U turn and went back but by that time they were a little spooked and went back a ways.

I was really looking forward to Mitchell and a good nights rest. I knew I was close. When I got there, I was disappointed to find nothing....absolutely nothing. There was a market that was closed and an overpriced hotel and no diner for anything. As much as I wanted to stop for the night, it wasn't an option.

60 miles later I was in prineville and didn't argue a bit over the overpriced Motel room the lady was offering up. Total miles for the day 324.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Day 4

Today was bittersweet. I knew my adventure was coming to an end. I woke up in Prineville totally refreshed and ready to hit the pavement. I stopped for some carbo-loading at the diner and hit the road. The sun was out, but it hadn't warmed up too much yet. Bike still running flawlessly.

This was my view for the morning

Before long, I had a view of both Mt. Jefferson and Mt. Hood. I had seen both many times, but not often from this side. Pretty impressive.

I had a brief moment of clarity and reflection on the ride back. I had tried not to think about the bike. Most people would say that I was bat shit crazy for taking a thirty year old bike that I bought for a hundred bucks on 1000 miles road trip. A feeling a pride rushed over me as the bike hummed along at 6000 rpms. The bike had performed flawlessly the entire trip, but clearly it preferred the cool mountain air that I was approaching.

I passed through Mt. Hood again and followed hwy 26 through my familiar stomping grounds and arrived home about noon....followed shortly by a long afternoon nap.

Helluva ride.

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
SO GLAD you made it home safe, and impressed with the story and pictures. AND the bike did it. Nice! Another testament to the durability when they are taken care of.

Look forward to us getting together again for something sometime this season.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SO GLAD you made it home safe, and impressed with the story and pictures. AND the bike did it. Nice! Another testament to the durability when they are taken care of.

Look forward to us getting together again for something sometime this season.

Joel in the Couve

Well said Joel. These bikes are ridiculous. We definitely need to get some more rides in soon while the weather is nice.

·
Registered
201 Posts
FANTASTIC Read Wootersen !!!!

I can't wait to show my wife the pictures, she grew up in eastern Oregon. I remember the first time I saw eastern Oregon after a long drive from Maryland
That high desert country environment is so unique
The Wallowa Mountains are such a beautiful sight, surrounded by dry land.

That's great to see that you made it from Joseph to Halfway. Funny story: I saw that route on a road map. Fresh from MD I tried that route in my trusted 4-Door. It wasn't quite time to pass through the mountains....
yep nearly got stuck in the snow. A couple guys on 4-wheelers saw me turning around and stopped to talk for a bit. HaHa yea I thought, "oh I can drive in snow and surely the road will be 'maintained'..." I was just a city boy then

Great trip !! So glad you made it back safe. Hopefully everything was still running smooth at home when you returned.

I've said it before, but we'll have to plan a trip to Baker City for Hells Canyon Rally next June. The bike wasn't ready this year. It is now though

I'd love to meet up with some guys nearby for a ride through Oregon.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FANTASTIC Read Wootersen !!!!

Thanks Shoreride. It was a hulluva trip and won't soon be forgotten. I'm definitely in for a ride east next year, and the one thing that was missing from this year was company. I would have liked to have ridden with another rider or two. I wouldn't change too much else though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wow,

I have seen alot of the same scenery, But I can only imagine it would look so much better NOT looking through a windshield.

Not sure if you stopped in Ukiah, But the little cafe there has great burgers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.