Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rebuild process has been slow, but is coming along great.

One thing I have to address is a glob of POR-15 sealant that formed inside the petcock hole. I removed the screen that is fitted to the inside of the tank. I should have laid the gas tank on it's side so the sealer would not form a drip as it cured.

It doesn't seem to be large enough to restrict flow. My only thought is to shave it down with a round file so that I could reinsert the screen.

What do you think ? Has anyone made a similar mistake ?

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
What did you use to plug it? I use a long rubber plug and continue to role it a bit after as much is drained out as possible.

Larry told me to take a syringe with a hose attached and suck all the extra out until it isn't possible. At least I think that is Larry.

I think in the directions it says to place a thin layer of water or light oil on the areas that you don't want sealer. With that mentioned you could probably take a q-tip and put the light oil on it and give the hole a quick swab.

Since you already have a glob in it right now you could chase the hole with a slightly smaller drill bit.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GREAT IDEAS, next time I would love to take up one or two of those.

So it sounds like a reasonable plan to drill or file off the glob...?

But knowing how to do it better will help out a buddy that plans on POR sealant on his gas tank.

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
GREAT IDEAS, next time I would love to take up one or two of those.

So it sounds like a reasonable plan to drill or file off the glob...?

But knowing how to do it better will help out a buddy that plans on POR sealant on his gas tank.

That would be my plan. If it's big near the end you might be able to remove it with a knife.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is kinda nice having such a smooth silver coating inside the tank though.

Oh and as correction I used KBS-Gold, not POR. Same price and positive reviews, but KBS-Gold seemed to have clearer information and the "Large Cycle Kit" specified it's use for a gas tank up to 5 gallons.

Anyway thanks again Don !!!

-- Keith

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have to share this...I was so anxious to Kreem my rusty tank...I forgot to take the screen filter out. Then when I was reassembling the tank I couldn't find the screen filter in my parts box. I bought a new screen filter, thinking I lost the original filter, then I wondered why it wouldn't fit in the tank. It was one of those Ohhhh Shhh....moments...but a 3/8" drill took care of the problem. I felt like an idiot..(still feel like one sometimes) and then went on to the next thing on the restore list...with MUCH more careful planning.

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
I hope that kreemed tank doesn't come back to screw you. Did you use their prep solution and remove all the rust first?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I hope that kreemed tank doesn't come back to screw you. Did you use their prep solution and remove all the rust first?

Yeah...I had a hell of a time getting all the washers and nuts out of there which I used during agitation...but I finally got them all.

So far so good. I'll try the other stuff next time on this other "new" old tank that I picked up used.

Whats your opinion of the Kreem product?

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
Yeah...I had a hell of a time getting all the washers and nuts out of there which I used during agitation...but I finally got them all.

So far so good. I'll try the other stuff next time on this other "new" old tank that I picked up used.

Whats your opinion of the Kreem product?

Total crap. Just short of lining the tank with jello. Several have had it peel back and float around in the tank. The only good thing about it is the fact that acetone eats it. So when it comes time to remove and do the right way just get two gallons of acetone and agitate.

Por 15 doesn't want to come out for anything. That's a sign.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Total crap. Just short of lining the tank with jello. Several have had it peel back and float around in the tank. The only good thing about it is the fact that acetone eats it. So when it comes time to remove and do the right way just get two gallons of acetone and agitate.

Por 15 doesn't want to come out for anything. That's a sign.

I didn't want to hear that...but I'm locked into it for now. I'll keep the acetone in mind when/if it decides to starts coming off. I'm going to use this other stuff on the other tank.

Thanks for the info.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.