Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
It looks like a stock SilverWing seat and a taller than normal backrest attached to the trunk.
I used to think I'd like a backrest until I had one on the SW trunk I had on Eccles. I found I seldom sat against it and when I did it never felt right (maybe I was just used to not having anything there).
When I changed to a different trunk I didn't put a pad on it.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
It looks like a stock SilverWing seat and a taller than normal backrest attached to the trunk.
I used to think I'd like a backrest until I had one on the SW trunk I had on Eccles. I found I seldom sat against it and when I did it never felt right (maybe I was just used to not having anything there).
When I changed to a different trunk I didn't put a pad on it.
I agree with not using a backrest is actually more comfortable. I’ll go one step further and say that not using the highway pegs and keeping my feet on the factory pegs is way better on my back when on long distance rides.

·
Super Moderator
17,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'm not saying backrests aren't good for some people, just not for me.
Highway pegs are a whole other matter. I have arthritic knees so I absolutely have to have somewhere else to move my feet to if I'm going to be on a bike without getting off and walking around for a while every half hour or so.
I used to have pegs on Eccles when I drove it more often and farther but when I replaced the engine in 2018 I hadn't used the peg for a couple of years so I didn't bother putting it back. I didn't miss it until this year's Polar Bear Ride and then only because my left knee is still recovering from landing on it when I fell on a wet concrete floor a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,455 Posts
I agree with not using a backrest is actually more comfortable. I’ll go one step further and say that not using the highway pegs and keeping my feet on the factory pegs is way better on my back when on long distance rides.
I've got highway pegs on Nimbus. I'll fold them out once in a while, but it's not a comfortable riding position.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I still have the highway pegs on the bike and will use them, I just notice my lower back will get sore when I use them. I think the highway pegs look nice and it is fun making them drag in the twisties.

·
Super Moderator
17,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I figured out a long time ago that the highway pegs need be located so that your knees touch the tank in the same place as they do when your feet are on the main pegs to be comfortable. I could never make that happen on Eccles but any change was better than none when the pain started. More often I would end up resting my ankle on the peg for a while.

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E
2,000 Posts
Yeah ,Seat is pretty comfortable and is Stock ,but Wife for last christmas got me the Seat cushion, by Saddleman if me remember correct. Bobs right about the backrest,I added the pad above the stock trunk one , getting it at the right angle for my back made a big differance and had to install some backing plates inside the trunk. Do like to have a few differant riding positions available on longer rides.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts