Honda CX 500 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I removed my filters and the large rubber ring that I was going to Dremel down to size, but then looked again. As I placed only the rubber ring back on the carb, with out the filer to clearly see what was being blocked I viewed they do not block the ports. They are at least a 1/4 inch away and the diameter isn't small enough to block the port even if it was up against them. I left it as is. I'll run the engine (eventually) and see how it performs. If it seems like it needs attention, maybe I'll alter it at that time.

What brand of pods are you using ???

·
Registered
413 Posts
The PO put them on so I don't know. They're not marked, either.

·
Registered
24 Posts
First I sanded the chrome with 100 grit to put some tooth on the steel surface, then I used JB Weld which held good on the steel but it didn't hold to the rubber. So I used Gorilla Glue which so far seems to be holding firm.

I used Shoe Goo and it worked great

icarus040.blogspot.ca

·
Registered
131 Posts
weathers getting nicer so im digging around my stuff, remembered this thread so thought i would check out my own pods

yes they are dirty has hell and need to be thoroughly gone through. but, i noticed that i have quite the gap between the rubber and the holes. anyone know if this still occludes the holes from breathing or is this alright.

when the time comes ill probably end up getting murrys carbs anyway

nieds

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just received my pods yesterday, http://www.mikesxs.net/product/15-0152.html

I slipped them on, tightened them up, and stood back at their beauty. Then this morning I see this post. UGH! I'll have to go back home tonight and see if this brand also cover up these ports and such.

LaGrasta how did those pods treat ur gl500 i like the look of em, also did you have to re mount anything with the carbs ik the stock filter system holds the carbs in place.

-mox

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
After reading this thread, checked the K&N RC2340 Pod Filters I have for my CX500D stock carbs. Had to go back to the K&N site to get filter specs to be sure which Pod filter I had. This 54MM K&N filter does not have the internal shoulder to cause issues with air flow. Will be able to test once bike is back together. I am using flat side panels, so don't know how this filter fits with OEM side panels.

Edit:

Had to cock the filter out about 1/16" to clear the choke cable connection. Pointing a phillips head screwdriver at the choke cable connection where the filter
is cocked out slightly to have enough clearance for the choke to operate properly. The filter still seals fine, too.

Been testing the CX with these pod filters and it runs fine without issues.

Flat panel cut out for pod:

·
Registered
49 Posts
After reading this thread, checked the K&N RC2340 Pod Filters I have for my CX500D stock carbs. Had to go back to the K&N site to get filter specs to be sure which Pod filter I had. This 54MM K&N filter does not have the internal shoulder to cause issues with air flow. Will be able to test once bike is back together. I am using flat side panels, so don't know how this filter fits with OEM side panels.

Edit:

Had to cock the filter out about 1/16" to clear the choke cable connection. Pointing a phillips head screwdriver at the choke cable connection where the filter
is cocked out slightly to have enough clearance for the choke to operate properly. The filter still seals fine, too.

Been testing the CX with these pod filters and it runs fine without issues.

Flat panel cut out for pod:

DId you have to rejet after installing these?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Excellent info. I havnt gotten to the starting up stage of my rebuild yet, but i noticed these ports when making some bell mouth filters a while back and made sure to cut notches in them to avoid blocking these ports. thanks for confirming that it was a good idea guys!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
My CX runs great with K&N air filters with 90/120 jets & 2 into 1 exhaust system. Have to admit, Murray's Mikinui Carb kit runs stronger, but I'm OK with the performance of the original carburetor.

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
24,457 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Benelli Leoncino - 2017 CSC RX3 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - 1979 CX650 Street Scrambler
1,592 Posts
Cool Murray, did not know that. I'm running MikesXS filters now, but my bike is always garaged, so I haven't gotten any rust yet. I will keep your filters in mind if I ever decide I'm sick of the "XS" logos on them... :)

Charles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
sorry to resurrect this thread but does anybody have the original photos that were in the start of the post.
Ive got pod filters (k&n) and having trouble cold starting. it cranks and cranks and cranks and finally goes (if the battery doesn't die). Any choke and it just floods it and I have to drain the carbs to get it to start. Getting a bit frustrated I cant just jump on it and take it out and have been advised regarding the atmospheric ports.
thanks
chris

61 - 80 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.