Honda CX 500 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I measured the Mikuni's from my MurrayF kit, they're 37.5mm. Mikesxs.net sells a filter for this as well, similar to the one in post #35 from SteveF.

My link

Fits: Mikuni VM34 aftermarket roundslide carbs.

57mm. (2 1/4") XS Performance motorcycle Pod Air Filter - Tapered Oval style w chrome end cap.

Pod is an improved replica (dyno and flow bench developed) of the most popular brand on the market.

Features - Molded in internal velocity stack.

- No step rubber mount flange and chrome end cap.

Filter is supplied dry but washable filtration element may be oiled for enhanced

dust filtration. Filter body is 2 3/4" Deep x 3 3/4" Wide x 4 1/2" High (at base)

Part #15-0027, $17.50 USD Ea

I'm going to order a set and see how they look, the ones I showed in the photo's in the beginning of this post fit on my Mikuni's but they're real tite.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The thing I also like about the XS Pods is they have the internal velocity stack, my understanding is that this will also improve the fueling as it settles down the airflow and removes the turbulance present without the velocity stacks.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
462 Posts
Got the pods, no mods needed and slip straight on the stock carbs

And on the bike. Hopefully I'll get to go for a ride tomorrow and see if it made any difference with the ports no longer blocked.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Hey Steve, what are the tank badges you have on your bike? Are they stock Honda, if so what year?

Dave

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hey Steve, what are the tank badges you have on your bike? Are they stock Honda, if so what year?

Dave

Yep, stock, off of my side covers
Not sure what years had them but mine is a 1980. I even think the mounting lugs lined up with the screw holes in the tank.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
462 Posts
Took it for a spin with the new pods, massive improvement, especially on the freeway where I can crack the throttle open at higher RPM and get an instance response. I was going to rejet as I knew it was running too rich up top but I think it's pretty spot on now. Very happy with the performance improvement and could even feel the difference pulling away on lower gears as the RPM rose.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
Took it for a spin with the new pods, massive improvement, especially on the freeway where I can crack the throttle open at higher RPM and get an instance response. I was going to rejet as I knew it was running too rich up top but I think it's pretty spot on now. Very happy with the performance improvement and could even feel the difference pulling away on lower gears as the RPM rose.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

May I ask what jetting you used, and also, what number (example: 90/120) is which jet, main or pilot?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ok folks i have been following for awhile now but just decided to join, I picked up a gl500i bone stock sitting on top of a car in a guys yard,took her home cleaned it up checked oil levels,cleaned the carbs thoroughly, cleaned the tank,gave her a new battery and all that. she fired right off to my suprise,after all that i took her on her test run further than down the block and made it 10 miles then she made a quick clatter and seized up(bummer)but i ended up finding another free complete bike(gl 500i)and pulled her engine bought gaskets and was going to put her in....THEN I WAS contacted from another guy from the add i posted never took down he had a GL 650....yet another free bike!! ok long story short i put the 650 engine in my 500 chassis and now looking to set up carbs for it, is there anyway the newly rebuilt carbs that work great from the 500 go on the 650? or should i redo the carbs that came with the 650?(obviously they are different mounting)but are they internally different? just curious. I also have a machineshop just for kicks working on a single carb dual manifold for the 650(coming along great BTW) ill show pics if it becomes a reality.To answer why i did all the extra work changing motors was because i had already bobbed my 500 chassis.I plan on making a hardtail out of the other 500 chassis, i dont have it in me yet to cut up the 650 chassis hahaha

·
Registered
31 Posts
use the 650 carbs on the 650 the 500 carbs have way different emulsion tubes and you will have enough fun jetting

the stock 650 carbs to work with no air box and modded exhaust
well i kinda figured that as to have already heard the 650 start and run but im sure the 650 carbs are good but cleaning them up never hurts,Thanks murray! sorry for almost being lazy hahaha

·
Registered
31 Posts
or if you want it to fly throw a mikuni carb and intake kit on it
well you have my attention,im more into reliablity and throttle response than huge power but i hear your the guy that knows the mikuni set ups, Got links/ pics? prices?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Wanted to say, I trimmed away the rubber on my EMGO filters and glued the filter on with black RTV to eliminate any possible obstruction of air flow.

It made a noticeable difference in throttle response. It was no dog before but I noticed a difference in the early throttle ramp up and the rest is snappier as well.

Rusty

·
Registered
349 Posts
As a complete noob who doesn't even have a cx500 yet (Kamn should be fixing that this week), I've been reading this forum like a bible and love the look of pods, relocated battery and removing the side panels. But since I have almost no carb experience I was wondering if the jetting needs to be changed if I throw pods on and remove the air box? If I find a pod without this ridge will it just work plug n play?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Dan, from what I've experienced and read here, most have to re-jet. I had to (although a previous owner who'd installed the pods hadn't thought so, which--among other reasons--is why the bike didn't run well when I got it). The usual advice is 90 and 120 main jets, which, again, is what I installed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I too have purchased Murrys kit. Although with only one jet change on my stock carbs even with the ports blocked off, the bike ran great! Not lean at all, almost a little rich. I have purchased different filters and they arrived today with no ridge inside! Course with the new carbs guess ridges wont matter much. Guess I got lucky with my stock carbs.

Hi Stanley...

Where did you get these from, make and model number etc if you can.

Cheers.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.