Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it was reving past 5000 when i'd pull in the clutch to shift. I was about 5 blocks from home when i hit the kill switch and decided to push it home. I had it all tore apart and out falls the little gel pack. I supose it was getting caught up in the carbs butterfly valve or the intake valve. I was glad to see it was something minor.

·
Registered
197 Posts
What jets are you using right now with pods? I have 78/115 and I know that's not right!
To pick the right jets there is more to consider than just running pods. You also need to factor in your exhaust. Stock exhaust or straight pipes - these also make a difference in which jets to use. Keep searching around the builds and find someone running the same setup that you want to run and then ask them what they are using and recommend.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I see a lot of guys go with the cheaper Emgo pods but frankly they are trash providing no filtering or air restriction. You are better going with the K&Ns or the Uni (foam)filters.

As mentioned it can be hard to dial in pods and you do have to consider both the filter and the exhaust. With pods alone going up one or two sizes might be enough. With both pods and exhaust work you will likely go up 3 or 4 sizes and may need to lift the slide needles a notch or two as well.

If all you can find or afford are the Emgos you can make them work by adding Unifoam to the inside of the pods. Sheets of foam are available from most bike stores or you can usually find something in the lawn tractor section of lowes. Foam needs to be oiled to work and K&N makes an aerosol can. Regular motor oil works too , of course.

If the pod or filter is not restrictive enough your engine will run super lean and you'll end up burning valves and plugs. You will likely get a lot of backfiring at different throttle positions too. You need to do "plug chops" to see how the carbs are functioning. Run the bike, stop and quickly remove the plugs and check. White is too lean, oily black and wet is too rich. A nice dry chocolate or coffe brown is what you're after.

Its a lot of trial and error.

Good luck with it.

Spyug

·
Registered
49 Posts
i roughly get 52mm measurement on my cx650c? anybody know for sure if 52 or 54mm? mikes xs site has good deals on pods. my measuring instrument is cheapy and just looking if anybody know for sure before i order.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've heard several times that 90/120 are the ones you want, jetsrus.com is the place to find some, and they are both main, not pilot and main. Just thought I'd throw all the info out because of the confusion I went through haha
So do we need to get the pilot jets somewhere else? Or do you just leave the stock pilot jets or drill them out a little? Are there special drill bits you can by that are numbered like jets?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.