Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my question is,

these bikes are tuned precicley to the airbox, but... has anyone in our cx/gl forum had success in changing it to the pod filter style intake
, and if so how did you achieve this fantastic feat?
and of course is it more enjoyable but worth the hassle?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i guess why i started this topic is to get ideas about how others have had success.. and i cant. rejetted 90/118. amigo pod filters. adjusted floats, adjusted needles. THE Works. really the only things i have not checked are getting an oil breather filter and i dont know how easy the air slides are supposed to slide

so ive done it all and all i get is popping and missing and black pluggs and never have i been able hear the hum of these great bikes at an idle. so some one must have the correct recipe.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I would never discourage people from fitting pod filters but just like people to know what they are actually doing and the changes it will make to the engine/system.

As the rev range of carburation of these Constant velocity carbs is controlled basically in 3 parts the lower rev band section of the slow speed idle circuit cannot be changed thus by fitting Pod filters with greater air-flow and even after re-jetting that part of the rev band of the engine may well be a leaner mixture which is not good for the engine over a period of time and the idle mixture screw may not be able to be adjusted correctly to compensate.

This means that a stock machine may well accelerate from stop faster.This of course may not be a concern as most people who,"Cafe Racer" style may not use the machines for commuting or long trips whereby they are not stopping and starting lot and may gain power,at the expense of fuel consumption,at higher rev bands which is what they want.

A colourtune unit is useful for checking the mixture at these lower idle speeds.

http://www.carbtune.co.uk/colortune.html

and if you ever did decide to buy one you need the 12mm adaptor for our bikes,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GUNSON-COLORT...t=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item25613d8475

You can get the superb full tuning kit from John Morgan,

http://www.carbtune.co.uk/carbcust5.html

http://www.carbtune.co.uk/index.html

I have and use both

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have basically given up on the factory carbs with my pods. It runs fairly well, but still has some issues about 5000 RPM or so. After this season is over, I will be switching over to some new mikuni's.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I've seen people go all the way to 90/130 or even 95/135 and still not get as good performance as the stock setup.

You might be able to get away with putting some small restrictor plates in until you've got the vacuum balance almost identical to what stock provided so you wouldn't have to rejet but it would take some experimentation.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the correct air to fuel is 150/1 so how does the air box differ from the pod filters. it just seems to me like they should work even better. the problem i had with my air box before is that i was not getting enough air and suction. the pod filters gave me alot better off the start power. why do these bikes not like them

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
i guess why i started this topic is to get ideas about how others have had success.. and i cant. rejetted 90/118. amigo pod filters. adjusted floats, adjusted needles. THE Works. really the only things i have not checked are getting an oil breather filter and i dont know how easy the air slides are supposed to slide

so ive done it all and all i get is popping and missing and black pluggs and never have i been able hear the hum of these great bikes at an idle. so some one must have the correct recipe.

Are you running stock exhaust?

Usually its a "Triple" adjustment with, intake, jets and exhaust.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
the correct air to fuel is 150/1 so how does the air box differ from the pod filters. it just seems to me like they should work even better. the problem i had with my air box before is that i was not getting enough air and suction. the pod filters gave me alot better off the start power. why do these bikes not like them

If the ratio of gasoline to air is less than 1.4%, then the mixture is to thin to burn. The mixture cannot burn when it contains more than 7.6% gasoline because it is too rich to burn.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.