Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I hate my airbox, and I think it is ugly. I want to switch to pod filters, but don't want to rejet. If I can build an enclosure to limit air to the pods at my discrection would that work? Basically a mini box around each pod, with a miniature garage door style opening.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I don't think I have heard of anyone that is using pods and has gotten their bike to run "perfectly" with the stock carbs. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I think it would be easier to switch to a different carb setup if you wanted to run the pods. This is just my two cents. Maybe someone else will chime in with some other words of wisdom.

·
Registered
536 Posts
As I know it, it's really all about mass airflow and vacuum. So you might be able to get away with it by blocking off the pod's access to air like say with tape or some sort of shroud. You might also be able to measure how much to block off by using a home built or purchased carburetor Sync tool to recreate the vacuum (and possibly thereby the mass of air flow)... but even if you do this, it could behave different at higher RPM vs Lower RPM. Really hard to know without playing with it.

Going to larger jets is probably the safest route though.

·
Registered
106 Posts
So I hate my airbox, and I think it is ugly. I want to switch to pod filters, but don't want to rejet. If I can build an enclosure to limit air to the pods at my discrection would that work? Basically a mini box around each pod, with a miniature garage door style opening.

Rejetting will be the best in my opinion, for the same amount of time to rig something up and then fiddle with it all the time you can rejet and sync. Or as posted before get a new carb setup but that isnt necessary if you sync. Its not as complicated as some make it out to be.

Or if as you said its for the aesthetics because the airbox is ugly, you could just get a new set of sidecovers......

·
Registered
1,517 Posts

that is an interesting approach I've been sorta mulling for a while. My idea is to basically make a new airbox out of a metal cylinder, Put Velocity intake stacks on it ... al la harley d coming out the sides.

I'm not looking for performance as I figure this would just make it look better without too much hassle in re engineering and re tuning.

Figuring the volume of air would be as simple as filling the air intake syst with water( no, no, no, not while installed on the bike
)

I'll never get a roundtuit... Go for it!

J

·
Registered
851 Posts
Here's a little thread-napping but related to the "you may have to get new carbs" comment. I'm doing the TM-38 swap as brought to this board by "Scudman" I'm up to my neck in carb tuning the carbs are super rich. Tomorow I'll try to buy leaner Jet Needles, my other problem is the carbs I bought are OEM Artic Cat and the Needle Jets are not removable so the main part of the throttle (1/4 to 3/4) is not all that tunable. I may have to re-cut the slides to get the throttle to work by allowing more air to pass the slide at idle to 1/4 throttle. This is not as simple as I hoped it would be. NOTE: I haven't sold the original carburetors yet!

If you want to change to the TM-38's I would recommend buy aftermarket new ones they're on ebay for about $300 per pair. May be cheaper in the long run?

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
30 Posts
The low jets are the same jet as the high, so get a 90 and 120 of the high jet.

Andy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.