Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
http://magnecor.com is the best.

Read though the entire website, this is what the racers use and the only thing I'll put on my cars.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Last I heard Shep found some.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Again it seems like there's a shortage of the strange sized Spark Plug Caps over there.Wemoto always seem to have them though,

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Honda/CX_500_A/79-80/

At some point I suspect they will not be available so I considered using some Extra long straight ones and a rubber bung drilled out make a Rain seal.

however after a lot of searching I also found these,

http://www.gsparkplug.com/shop/spark-plugs/spark-plug-caps/ngk-xb05f-red.html

But I'm not sure of the angle and depth are right so if some one wants to check and post the dimensions I'll look further.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, first and foremost a couple members have asked if I have any spare good wires, which I don't, but I think I have enough parts to build a set or two once I buy some bulk copper wire. That being said I work at an auto parts store and have been looking through some books and found that some "coil on plug" boots look similar, even with an area to seal to the top of the valve cover, but do not have the 90 degree turn on top. I've considered doing some comparison or experimentation of creating some new plug boots and wires using those, but a resistor would be out of the question at that point, so either a resistor plug or a carbon resistor spark plug wire of some kind (which we have in bulk) would need to be used to replace the resistance created by the missing resistor in the plug cap, at least on the CX models I would think as the ignition is a little more touchy.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
You don't need the resistors.The Spark plugs have them in anyway if you use NGKs with an,"R" in the designation.

The angle of the plug caps unfortunately is NOT 90 degs which is why they are a PITA to find along with their length.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Again it seems like there's a shortage of the strange sized Spark Plug Caps over there.Wemoto always seem to have them though,

They're readily available from a bunch of sources, including every Honda Dealer in the country. It's deja-vu all over again....

The question was about replacement plug wires, not boots. The wires are not replaceable on the CDI CX's, they're part of the coil.

The ones Wemoto offers are after market not OEM, someone on here ordered a pair from the UK which cost about the same for two as Honda charges for just one OEM.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Solid wire with resistor plugs is fine as is the other way around. Many think they're just for RFI/EMI but they actually help protect the coils as the plug sparks.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess my mind was wandering a bit on the CX thought, forgot they were part of the coil. Anyway, this all started with the fact that I've got a few spare used boots around and some carbon resistor wire at work. I've ordered some copper, but was pondering the use of the carbon resistor wire for making GL plug wires.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Nothing can beat Magnecor wire - absolutely nothing. 30+ years of winning racing history proves that. Looks like they may have our connectors too or with a little persuasion will order in a pile if enough inquiries are made. They're nice people and everything is hand made to spec.

I'm not saying you have to buy them but read carefully through their ENTIRE website if you like to learn things.

You may be in for a shock as these people tell 100% truth, not fictional advertising.

I use the blue ones on my cars. Had them almost right up against the headers on my Pace Car without any insulation and despite red (almost white) hot exhaust tubes after many runs it didn't bother them.

Last set you'll ever have to buy. http://www.magnecor.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.