Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Plug Wires

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  marshallf3 
#1 ·
Are plug wires a dealer or aftermarket item only or can you get them through a NAPA or Automotive Parts Shop? Any suggestions or preferences to any particular brand? this would be for a 79cx500c. picked up the digital tach from my uncle yesterday, hope to have the digital manometer for carb synching next week.

#2 ·
The plug wires don't come off the 78-81 cx500 coils. Unless you break them.

The wire is soldered and then molded to that pin on the left.

#3 ·
Thanks for the great pic Blindstitch. I know new wires can make a big improvement in an Auto Tune-up...17k miles on the Bike I am working on...do you guys find you ever replace them? Are there any prescribed tests to check the coils? Some things are better just left alone--and I dont want to just change them to change them, but would like to get some sort of baseline or condition evaluation of the coils.

#4 ·
Basically you don't bother with them but you do get rid of the internal resistors in the plug caps by replacing them with a piece of brass rod. Just keep the wires clean and worst case you replace the actual coil assembly with one that's compatible with a CDI ignition bike.

New non-resistor plug caps are available but, unless cracked, normally don't need replacement either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.