Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this was covered on the old forum. How are the plug wires connected to the coil on the GL500? I need new wires and boots and the guys at bike shop said I can get a set of after market plug wires with boots already installed a lot cheaper than buying everything separately. They wanted to know if the plug wires just screwed on to the end of the coil or if it had two wires that have to be connected. I have know idea without taking the tank off and checking. Also has anyone used straight plug boots (no 90 degree elbow)? That's what they want to sell to me.

Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
if they are like the cx coils yes the wires just screw into a brass screw sticking out of the coil and I would get the 90 degree plug caps or you will will have rubbing issues with ht lead as it goes under the tank and possible where it comes out of the head

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
It is better to get solid core plug wire too. That actually has a copper wire inside versus the carbon thread that regular plug wires have. Any auto parts store should have the wire, and it is cheap. What is wrong with your current plug caps? These caps are somewhat specific to the GL's. They need to be quite long and have the weather boot on the top, plus the angle wire entrance. If you have a meter, you can check if yours are OK, by measuring resistance thru the cap. Shouldn't be more than 5-6k ohms. That is with the resistor taken out of the cap. Instructions on doing this is located in the Quick Reference post in this forum.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is better to get solid core plug wire too. That actually has a copper wire inside versus the carbon thread that regular plug wires have. Any auto parts store should have the wire, and it is cheap. What is wrong with your current plug caps? These caps are somewhat specific to the GL's. They need to be quite long and have the weather boot on the top, plus the angle wire entrance. If you have a meter, you can check if yours are OK, by measuring resistance thru the cap. Shouldn't be more than 5-6k ohms. That is with the resistor taken out of the cap. Instructions on doing this is located in the Quick Reference post in this forum.

One of the caps on my wife's bike has chunk broken off of the end of it. It still works fine but I would like to replace it before it causes any problems. The guys at the bike shop I went to said that the wires with the straight boots should not be a problem because they have longer wires and can be tucked/secured so they won't rub.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts