Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 81 CX500 that had been sitting for years. Went through carbs, remounted, and both sides have spark, but header only heats on left side. When I pull the left plug it dies. I'm sure you gurus can quickly point me to my problem. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
You say both sides have spark. Define that and how you tested it. If truly you have a good blue spark by holding the plugs against the FRAME (not the valve covers) then it wouldn't be the plugs, but something else. Possibly a fuel related issue. I'm also sure the GURU's will chime in, cuz I aint one.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Hello, I have a 81 CX500 that had been sitting for years. Went through carbs, remounted, and both sides have spark, but header only heats on left side. When I pull the left plug it dies. I'm sure you gurus can quickly point me to my problem. Thanks.

So what you are saying is, right cylinder is not igniting but has spark at plug, correct? When you pull the right plug

is it wet? Sounds to me like it may not be getting fuel.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pulled the right plug and it was wet. Went to autozone and got NGK DR8ES-L plugs, set them to .028 and fired right up. The right header pipe does not get hot, however when engine revved up into higher revolutions it does start heating up. Pulled the left wire and engine dies. Does this sounds like a carb issue? Upon cleaning the carbs. I did find where a the tip of a idle mixture screw had been broken off, did the thumb tack and removed the tip and used one off of a 78 carb. Could that have anything to do with this?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
see the post "Thanx Larry Cargill, Author" on this forum, about 3/4 of the way down there is discussion of no fuel until 5000 rpms if idle circuit is clogged.

Boulder, Thank you very helpful, it looks like it is the low end circuit. I had bought Larrys carb book a couple of months ago but was not wanting to do a full service before knowing if everything was functioning on the bike. So now to gather the parts and supplies needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.