Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I am having troubles diagnosing the problem for my 81 cx500 deluxe not starting. I am a trained auto mechanic so I usually can figure most things about the bike out. I purchased this bike from a family member but it was not running. Changed the main fuse next to the solenoid and put a new sealed battery with some fresh gas and it started right up. Ive been riding it for a couple months now and it ran out of gas as i was riding it yesterday and it wouldnt start back up. All i here is a slight click when i try to start it so im assuming its the starter. Checked the battery with my meter and even tried to jump it but nothing. I rolled it down a hill and popped it into 2nd gear and it started right up. I tried to jump the two terminals on the solenoid with a screw driver but still nothing. Is there any other tests i can do? Maybe something with the stator? Im not too familiar with motorcycles but i have good general mechanical knowledge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I was riding when it ran out of gas I put it in neutral and tried to start it back up while I was doing about 40 mph. Could that have been the cause?

·
Registered
24,434 Posts
lol it does not

if you have jumped the solenoid while you have jumper cables on it

and you ground cable is tight at both ends

and you positive cables are both tight

then pull the starter off and clean it and see if it has any brushes left

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alrighty. All cables are tight and in decent condition (no corrosion or opens) I put jumper cables on the battery. Let it charge for a bit then tried to jump the solenoid with a screw driver and still nothing. Not even any sparks or anything like that. I tried hitting the starter with a hammer a little bit too and still nothing. I'm going to take off the starter now and check the brushes

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any tips on holding the brushes down while trying to put the starter back together?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nevermind. Didn't realize both ends of the starter could be removed. Cleaned the starter bolted it back on and it started right up. Thank you for the help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts