Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took off the rear engine cover to fix a slight oil leak coming from my weep hole. The little round rubber oil seal was ruined (looks like I accidentally squashed it at some point when I did my stator swap). Anyway, when I was wiping up all the oil I found two little parts hanging out in the bottom of the rear engine cover. I haven't the foggiest idea what they could be from and before I put things back together and find out the hard way. I was hoping one of you guru's could chime in. The first one is a metal cylinder measuring about 4mm x 16mm (also in my hand in the picture is the spacer that goes in the cam chain tensioner and a mysterious copper washer). The second is a long, skinny, and tightly wound spring. I have seen similar springs around the external fork seals on mountain bikes. But I can't figure out where this one could be from on my bike. Please help!
Spacer and Rod.JPG Spring.JPG
And just for good measure, here is the dead rubber oil seal:
Blown Oil Seal.JPG
sorry the pictures are so big.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wonderful news, because it's already being replaced. Thanks CXPHREAK! Also, you are right, the washer is not copper, and from a schematic, I think it's the washer that sits in front of the polo mint.

·
Super Moderator
20,808 Posts
That's what I thought that washer looked like. From memory it has a 10mm ID and is 2 mm thick. I'd be truly sus if it were my bike. I had also wondered if the pin may be the dowel for the cam sprocket carrier, but I'm not sure on the dimensions of those.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Spacer-and-Rod.jpg
My thoughts are:

1 = is the bush of the tensioner
(If it's lost, You can not fix the tensioner with the adjusting/fixing screw.)
But this bush (nr.9) should be 6.5 x 12 x 16mm (id x ad x lengh)
Alternative: a bush from the left tensioner guide (??=unsure)

2 = is the washer on the splines of the cam.
If this one is forgotten, the impeller can move too much, the mechanical seal can not seal.
He is siiting in the PoloMint, ....but he should not touch the PoloMint.
Better to say: he sits on the cam

3 = the fixing dowel pin (Nr. 15) of the gear -(holder) for the cam chain gear. ( ??= unsure)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
would the pin be left over from a possible starter clutch mechanism ??
reckon the flat washer is the one behind the polo mint - and sitting in the impeller.

good luck sherlock

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Murrayf, thanks for the tip, I will check out the shift drum, and see if the pin fits there. Guelli02, you were spot on for the washer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts