Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have been following the site for months now on my build. It’s been very informative but now I can’t find any discussion on my problem.
I have had many bikes in the past but this is the first time I’ve tampered with the factory settings.

I have a 79 cx500. Over the past few months I have been turning it into a cafe racer (almost done) In this build I put air pods on the carbs and put bigger jets in 90, 120.

The problem I’m having is the bike won’t start when the choke is pulled out, only when the choke is pushed in fully. Also, if I pull out the choke the bike dies.It will also die when not pulling on the throttle. I took it for a test run around the block and it is very sluggish at first then all of a sudden it’s a rocket. (Won’t be riding it again untill I get the idle corrected)

·
Super Moderator
22,877 Posts
Read this.

·
Registered
1983 cx650c
1,150 Posts
Definitely could be the problem. Way back when I had good success with unmodified pods on non CV carbs, but not so much with cv,,, had to whittle the rubber on an old cb450 with similar carbs,,,, the pod base covers air flow is what I gather, stock airbox on my current cx650, still had to remove carbs an embarrassing number of times to get them as close as they are now,, ?

·
Registered
1983 cx650c
1,150 Posts
On the 450 I saw the oval shaped port on top of inlet side of carbs, assuming it supplied air to lift the vacuum piston, and carved the rubber away until it allowed airflow to port. Had to put pod on orientation with that carving up. The mods in previous link will probably do a better job than my simple method , it was quite some time back,,,

·
Registered
1983 cx650c
1,150 Posts
The best design and quality of pods I tried were UNI brand, foam not the mesh and metal type. Don't know if currently available but the mesh type seemed of dubious quality and often separated at the glue joint,,, regardless, if the rubber mounting part of pod restricts air flow performance is compromised.

·
Registered
1983 cx650c
1,150 Posts
Just looked on ebay, uni pods available in several sizes and configurations. They also have sheet foam which I used in the stock airbox of cx650c with hardware cloth to keep it from collapsing from suction.

·
Registered
1983 cx650c
1,150 Posts
Hardware cloth is a local term, I mean metal screen the must be cut with snips,,, its galvanized and easily formed into circle to stabilize foam sheeting. No new filters available for 650 airbox.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome, thanks everyone. I’m going to take a look at my pods tomorrow. I might try running the bike without any pods and see how it runs. I diddnt have any problems when the bike was stock. I’ve been working so much on aesthetics I forgot to spend more time on what really matters. Safe to say the bike is running rich? I might also mess with the idle air screws.

·
Registered
1983 cx650c
1,150 Posts
Start simple if it ran good before, as you say remove pods first. It doesn't make it run rich if vacuum pistons don't lift due to airflow problems, it just won't open the airway or run properly at all. the throttle butterflies control the system, but the vacuum slides make it go. Air screws are final idle adjustment items, usually standard setting is close. Carb cleaning is important for optimal performance but previous good performance is encouraging. Keep wrenchin n ridin !?

·
Registered
1983 cx650c
1,150 Posts
Sorry for any confusion, but "rich" conditions are associated with an already functioning carb system, and if slides dont lift mixture is so far from optimal that analysis is impossible. Get the bike to rev and idle properly before checking plug color to determine if jetting is acceptable. ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts