Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working with the coast guard, I often hear of careless boaters, and other water related 'accidents', and often I am directly involved with either their rescue, or demise.... It has been a horrible summer. My last night shift was a breath of fresh air. Nothing serious happened.

It was a shock however, to learn on the news at noon today, that my Doctor from when I lived in Ottawa has been hospitalized with life threatening injuries. The accident scene showed a car with the passenger's side door completely smashed in. My Doctor's motorcycle lying about 50 feet away - in multiple pieces. Although a conservative kind of personality, Dr. Don Chow was often seen riding his crotch rocket style bike, wearing full leather and/or other ATGATT that were colour co-ordinated to match his most recent ride.

As usual, it appears that the car pulled out into the roadway without checking for other traffic, or at least - missed seeing the motorcycle. When approaching an intersection, even if there is no lights or signs for you to stop, please, give extreme caution to the idiots that are coming from side streets. They don't care how their next maneuver could possibly kill somebody.

Don Chow is the team doctor for the NHL team the Ottawa Senators.

My prayers and good wishes go out to him and his family. For that matter, to all who know somebody who has been in a bike accident.

Please, lets be careful out there!

Don A.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Thanks Don. While not a fan of the Senators I love hockey and play myself. I always drive like the the idiot in the cage doesn't see me or doesn't care that I am there. Drive like your invisible because most of the time you are. Heal quick Dr. Chow.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Working with the coast guard, I often hear of careless boaters, and other water related 'accidents', and often I am directly involved with either their rescue, or demise.... It has been a horrible summer. My last night shift was a breath of fresh air. Nothing serious happened.

It was a shock however, to learn on the news at noon today, that my Doctor from when I lived in Ottawa has been hospitalized with life threatening injuries. The accident scene showed a car with the driver's side door completely smashed in. My Doctor's motorcycle lying about 50 feet away - in multiple pieces. Although a conservative kind of personality, Dr. Don Chow was often seen riding his crotch rocket style bike, wearing full leather and/or other ATGATT that were colour co-ordinated to match his most recent ride.

As usual, it appears that the car pulled out into the roadway without checking for other traffic, or at least - missed seeing the motorcycle. When approaching an intersection, even if there is no lights or signs for you to stop, please, give extreme caution to the idiots that are coming from side streets. They don't care how their next maneuver could possibly kill somebody.

Don Chow is the team doctor for the NHL team the Ottawa Senators.

My prayers and good wishes go out to him and his family. For that matter, to all who know somebody who has been in a bike accident.

Please, lets be careful out there!

Don A.

So many unconcious, unattentive drivers on cell phones... or worse.

My Sympathy to you and wishes for a quick & complete recovery for Dr. Chow...

And on this Anniversary of Katrina's flooding in this area, I thank you and everyone else in the Coast Guard, especially those who flew endless rescue missions (22 straight days...) in flooded parts of New Orleans and The Gulf Coast area after Katrina... I was at the USCG Lake Ponchartrain Station shortly after the storm. To a Man and the Women on station, there was nothing but selfless dedication to the mission...and Lot's of "battle weary eyes". I will always remember this selfless action of the US Coast Guard with much gratitude!

Jeff

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
We ought to be allowed to run full blaring blue and white strobe lights, just no red so we can be distinguished from the police.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
One of the Milwaukee Vintage Moto guys got hit last week. He was pulling out of a motorcycle event and the woman pulled right into him throwing him over the hood. He was lucky it was only a 25mph area. He did break his wrist so is out of riding for the next 10 weeks. The bike will be fixed.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Thanks Don for what you do. It's so freakin easy to take for granted folks like yourself until us folks get into a fix. On another note so far this year have had three close calls all involving inattentive distracted drivers. We can't be too overly cautious. On one more note, was coming back from Fort Bragg a couple days ago and couldn't help but notice all the tire trash from semi tractors and disabled cars all along the N. carolina freeways. Didn't notice nearly the same amount passing through the other states all the way up to Minn. Also had a semi blow a right front tire just as I was passing by him. Sounded like a shotgun blast. Glad he was to my right side and I was not passing him on that side. Would not have wanted to be following him either.You all be careful out there.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Speaking of inattentive drivers, check this out. One of my fellow officers was recently passing a car that was being driven by a woman on a 4 lane highway. This woman was yakking on her cell phone and when this officer passed her she turned her face away from the road in front of her, removed her ONLY remaining hand from the steering wheel, and gave him the finger. He pulled her over for having no hands on the wheel and she refused to get off the cell phone and tried to ignore him. Then she went off on him yelling and screaming. How I wish that he had arrested this evil bitch. I am glad no cyclist was in front of this disgrace to the human race. He would have been flattened.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Speaking of inattentive drivers, check this out. One of my fellow officers was recently passing a car that was being driven by a woman on a 4 lane highway. This woman was yakking on her cell phone and when this officer passed her she turned her face away from the road in front of her, removed her ONLY remaining hand from the steering wheel, and gave him the finger. He pulled her over for having no hands on the wheel and she refused to get off the cell phone and tried to ignore him. Then she went off on him yelling and screaming. How I wish that he had arrested this evil bitch. I am glad no cyclist was in front of this disgrace to the human race. He would have been flattened.

And here: http://www.torontosu...0/15190856.html is some stupidity by the biker. Seems a police officer while giving chase, the biker cracked the throttle at which point his passenger was un-seated, and left to fend for herself in the middle of the 401 (major Ontario highway) - she was promptly dismembered by the next vehicle(s). Police continue to search for the unknown biker, and i.d. of the passenger has been difficult to say the least.

Come on people, this has been the worst summer on record - must be due to the higher than normal temperatures.

·
Registered
977 Posts
In the Chicago area a woman was recently sentenced to something like 6 years in jail for killing a 40 something year old woman that was sitting at a stop light on her motorcycle when she was rear ended and run over and killed. The driver of the car admitted that she was painting her finger nails and failed to see the woman. Using a cell phone while driving is just as dangerous. I fail to understand the big deal with texting. If I want to communicate with someone I just call them on the phone which is a lot faster than texting. BillRod

·
Registered
993 Posts
I hope the Doc pulls through and recovers. I hope the ATGATT helped save his life and he has good quality of life after recovery.

Not long ago a Phoenix area dump truck driver ran over 10-11 motorcyclist stopped at a light...he was looking at a map.

If I remember correctly 4 died of the group. Bikes were crushed and then caught fire as their fuel spilled on the roadway.

Horrible accident.

David

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I hope the Doc pulls through and recovers. I hope the ATGATT helped save his life and he has good quality of life after recovery.

Not long ago a Phoenix area dump truck driver ran over 10-11 motorcyclist stopped at a light...he was looking at a map.

If I remember correctly 4 died of the group. Bikes were crushed and then caught fire as their fuel spilled on the roadway.

Horrible accident.

David
i remember that one raf but i thought it was more bikes than that and i do recall a bunch did die my the rest in peace

also i noticed your from az to right on if your ever down this way let me know

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
All Automotive accidents are bad.

I treat all junctions and side roads as,"War-zones" and as has been said,you are invisible until noticed.I try never to give the B*stards a chance nor put myself in harm's way especially in ,"Urban" conditions.

One of the problems with higher powered machines is the throttle is massively powerful and even a little twist and you can end up in trouble.

·
Registered
368 Posts
We ought to be allowed to run full blaring blue and white strobe lights, just no red so we can be distinguished from the police.

Police around here use blue lights. But I like the idea.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I almost had a 3 seat jetski land on me this summer. Some kids were out on a couple of large skis, and weren't paying attention. Troy's sis-in-law started "um, um, um, UMSHITUMUMUMSHIT" (we were on their ski boat and the S-I-L and I were sitting in the front of the boat) I looked over in time to see a ski, ghostriding right at me! If his brother hadn't reacted the way he did, the ski would've been on top of my lap, instead of hitting the bottom of the boat where I was.

Here's another story.

http://www.jdnews.com/news/road-81963-wreck-creek.html

It's my friends brother. Her and I went to high school together, were on the track team together.... and now her little brother just had a motorcycle accident and had to have part of his leg amputated.....

Agreed. Be careful- you can't predict how your own machinery will act all the time, and you certainly can't predict what the other person will do!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Cop in Indy, driving drunk runs over bikers stopped at light:

follow the story here:

http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?140961-Incredible!-Charges-dropped-against-cop-who-killed-motorcyclist!!/page2

1 - 20 of 29 Posts