Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I figure this bike most likely belongs to someone here?

I like the idea, I like the seat a lot, only I would like to be able to close off the back with one more piece of welded steel so the frame groove is gone. Also, I like the way the bike looks too with the radiator and plastic side covers left in place, assuming thats "allowed" on a cafe. Regardless, I think I am going to leave it also because it does looks sharp painted. I can always take them off later if I want.

Anyone have any other years/makes of tanks that may look good? Limiting myself to CB360 tanks could be pricey, and without having the other tanks to look at first hand, I am hoping somone here has a good idea on what other tanks would look good.

I'd also like to see photos if anyone else has used an old fuel tank for their seat. Thanks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
He was with us for a while during the build. He sold the bike on E-bay and has since moved on. At least I haven't seen him around since the new board has been used.

His old username was pampadori or something like that. Shaun Stewart is his name and Slingshot-cycles is his website.

·
Registered
228 Posts
So, I figure this bike most likely belongs to someone here?

I like the idea, I like the seat a lot, only I would like to be able to close off the back with one more piece of welded steel so the frame groove is gone. Also, I like the way the bike looks too with the radiator and plastic side covers left in place, assuming thats "allowed" on a cafe. Regardless, I think I am going to leave it also because it does looks sharp painted. I can always take them off later if I want.

Anyone have any other years/makes of tanks that may look good? Limiting myself to CB360 tanks could be pricey, and without having the other tanks to look at first hand, I am hoping somone here has a good idea on what other tanks would look good.

I'd also like to see photos if anyone else has used an old fuel tank for their seat. Thanks.

I have a CB360 tank for you if you want. would 15.00 plus shipping be ok?

I have used all kinds of tanks for my rear cowel i have made.

this one is my first love. it was a 1979 cx500 deluxe. I made the rear cowel out of an old twinstar tank. the lines worked out real well with the tank. I wish i never sold the bike.

and then for the current bike, GL500, i used a old gl500 tank because the lines were perfect. I had to do some trimming to get it just right.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He was with us for a while during the build. He sold the bike on E-bay and has since moved on. At least I haven't seen him around since the new board has been used.

His old username was pampadori or something like that. Shaun Stewart is his name and Slingshot-cycles is his website.

I'll have to do some searching in the old forum for it. That should be...interesting. Google search maybe still?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will definatley take that tank off our hands.
PM coming.

I do like the twinstar tank on the back too, the long lines look great with the deluxe tank. I would have never guessed it.

How are you upholstering your seats?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Take old seat covers and cut them down to what I need and bolt/screw all the sides Down. Then use the old foam to do a thin layer.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I read through those diections JimL, I had seen them somewhere before. I wished they had covered how to actually do the fiberglass. I also wonder why he doesn't leave it made from metal?

I will need ot keep mine metal if I want to use the actual tank, which thank you again Need4Steed. I'm glad you don't mind that I am going to chop it up.

·
Registered
228 Posts
No problem buddy. Just let me know if I can swing by tomorrow on my bike and see ur projects and have an open garage day at ur place.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry I was out all weekend pulling motors for my trucks.
Gotta get them done before it gets cold out. But yeah, let me know, you are welcome to come by and see the mess.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Steed:

The red bike you posted was my inspiration as well. I'm still working on mine, but the attached link should get you to an online album that shows some of what I've done. I started with a CB360 ('76, I think) tank and went from there. I built a seat frame out of 1/2" square tubing and formed the pan over that. A local custom upholstery shop formed up the pad and cover for me.

Build Album

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.