Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited a very low mile 79 CX500 Deluxe, finally found a tank for it and I am now ready to start dreaming up my bike. I was initially attracted to the cafe bike but now I am leaning towards the scrambler look. I could use some help with determining the right parts, as I am a rookie in the rebuild world.

Here is my bike (thanks for the tank philbrewer!)
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

I really like the front end on this bike. Does anyone know the parts (headlights, bars, forks, triple tree, low profile turn signals, etc.) I would need to recreate this?
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

Also, I would love for everyone to share any and all their suggestions with me. For example - if you know a particular slim battery that is great, chime on in! As I mentioned, I am new to this and have spent hours reading through other threads trying to pull inspiration. I figure, why not just start one and see what you all think!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
To make the above bike you could go with forks from an early 80's CB750 for the dual disk setup and cross drill the rotors. The only other bits that are custom there are the seat which may be a stock pan that has been modified with new foam and recovered, the exhaust is stock header pipes that have a straight sections welded on to the longer reverse cone mufflers. The shocks look like the cheaper emgo shocks that are rock hard. Everything else is paint, new bearings, new seals, good working mechanicals.
Sorry thats all I have

·
Registered
940 Posts
I put together a GL650 front end on my build, got the dual discs, and with a little bit of work, got a non reversed comstar wheel on it.

You can build a seat pan and get it upholstered to replicate that look. I have spent $200 or so for a seat that I then needed to build around and about $150 to have a pan that I made upholstered to my specs...

·
Registered
940 Posts
Oh, those headlights are all over ebay. Handlebars, fork boots and turn signals I've seen there and on amazon.

·
Super Moderator
23,405 Posts
The front end is the standard twin disc front end from an Oz CX from 80 to 81. The same as 3 of my bikes.

Should be 275 mm discs with 38 mm calipers.

The 750F used twin 295 mm discs with 43mm calipers.... at least in Oz.

Here's the set I'll be using on my thingy, mocked up to make sure everything fits. Alloy wheel Tire Spoke Wheel Automotive tire

·
Registered
940 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Murray's carbs are the way to go. Just saying.

·
Registered
940 Posts
The last bike, the one from Harencia.

·
Registered
594 Posts
The front end is the standard twin disc front end from an Oz CX from 80 to 81. The same as 3 of my bikes.

Should be 275 mm discs with 38 mm calipers.

The 750F used twin 295 mm discs with 43mm calipers.... at least in Oz.

Here's the set I'll be using on my thingy, mocked up to make sure everything fits. View attachment 26304
Nice calipers! :D

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks Brian! What do you think about Harencia swapping out to the KTM 690 radiator?

- Does anyone know of a good tire for dual sport (more aggressive look)?

Side note: I have been drawn to the larger front tire for a while; however, after reading up more on this forum... it seems that it is an inferior choice (utility vs aesthetic)? What size tires do you think is on the Harencia (bikeexif.com/cx500)? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I saw a thread saying anything above 130/90 on the rear could cause rub and I am unsure of handling / performance of going above 110/90 on the front...

- Who has laymen advice for the Mofset R/R upgrade? It appears that I will have some studying to do before I tackle the electrical, but would like to get some parts on order. Is there a thread that outlines completely upgrading the electrical system? I am leaning towards an AGM battery (again battery suggestions welcome).

- I am also trying to get my hands on the Ignitech (sent PM to Cobram last night) - what else is a "must have" for a CX500 rebuild?

Thanks again for all the support!

·
Registered
940 Posts
I will have to respond with more detail later. I have a full day ahead of me, and I don't know the answer to some of these questions!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts