Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 1983 CX 650 Custom that I purchased in pieces.
It needed new piston rod bearings which the last owner couldn't find, so he sold it to me.
I found a set on eBay and they look great, but now that I'm trying to put the pistons back onto the crank, I realized he didn't mark the pistons before taking them off, so I have no idea how they attach onto the crank. I looked through the manual but I could only find a few things about the piston attachments. And none mentioned the exact position. Can anyone help me out with where in the manual it mentions piston to crank placement?

·
Super Moderator
23,104 Posts
Are the rods still on the pistons?

There is an oiler hole on the rod that orientates a particular way, - from memory they point toward the engine centreline.

Wait for more advice or check your FSM but I think this is correct.

As these are twisted twins only one way should line up correctly with the pistons and valve pockets anyway.

·
Registered
24,447 Posts
in the 1983 cx650c factory service manual

section 12 page 17 has a very clear description and picture of the piston top markings

section 12 -18 has a very clear description and picture as to the position and orientation of the oil alignment

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot for your help guys!!!!! Since this is my first completely pulled apart engine, I'm sure I'll be back with lots more ridiculously easy questions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts