Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got one piston installed today. Unfortunately, one of the rings is stuck on the other piston. It will not move. It will not turn. The gap is so small that ring pliers or even a very fine pick cannot get into the gap. I soaked it in diesel overnight. I ran it through several cycles in the ultrasonic cleaner, and I have used about a can of PB blaster on it. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Try some heat.

1st attempt... boil it vigorously in a suitable container for at least an hour or so, with a little dish detergent like Dawn added.

2nd attempt (getting more desperate) play the flame from a propane torch around the groove area. Just don't go overboard with it.

Then perhaps repeat the boiling again. A little gentle tapping with the plastic butt end of a screwdriver on the ring if it is expanded at all out from the piston diameter.

Good luck and patience please!

Hoppy

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try some heat.

1st attempt... boil it vigorously in a suitable container for at least an hour or so, with a little dish detergent like Dawn added.

2nd attempt (getting more desperate) play the flame from a propane torch around the groove area. Just don't go overboard with it.

Then perhaps repeat the boiling again. A little gentle tapping with the plastic butt end of a screwdriver on the ring if it is expanded at all out from the piston diameter.

Good luck and patience please!

Hoppy

Thanks Hoppy! I got out my wife's favorite stock pot and made piston stew. It boiled for 1 hour, then I lightly tapped around the ring with a small brass hammer. (VERY VERY LIGHTLY!) I could tell right a way there was some movement. Within 3 minutes, the ring was off. Now they are back in the cleaner to loosen up more crud. I may just get both pistons in tonight!

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Congrats :) glad it worked out. Now, while its cleaning, make sure you clean up the pot and put it back .... and if asked if you were cooking bike parts in her favorite pot ... DENY EVERYHTING :) Speaking from experience lol Also, if you ever make a bracket and spray it with engine enamel and bake cure it in the oven ..... dont turn off the oven to cool and forget the bracket overnight LMAO got a 6:00am wake up asking "what the hell did you do in my oven" LOL hard to deny when MRs CSI has the smoking gun lol

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Dang, Stern, you had better hope Mrs. CSI doesn't read this board!

Glad the outcome was good for Reagan....so far....

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Reagan,

Did you find new bearings for it or are you just doing rings?

I was under the impression that the vast majority of these parts are not available.

Larry said the rings are still available. The bearings and all I did not think are.

So what parts are you replacing? I am curious.

Thanks

Tony

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reagan,

Did you find new bearings for it or are you just doing rings?

I was under the impression that the vast majority of these parts are not available.

Larry said the rings are still available. The bearings and all I did not think are.

So what parts are you replacing? I am curious.

Thanks

Tony

Tony,

The bearings are in great shape on my motor, so I am not replacing them. It appears that there was a leak in the head gasket on one cylinder, and it sat that way for several years. So really, the only part of the motor that did not look great was one of the cylinders and the rings on that piston were gummed up and did not move freely. My previous experience working on motors is with cars, and as a rule I always replaced rings if a piston came out. I have been told by several people and read on this forum that a CX with my mileage does not need new rings unless they are damaged. I almost get nauseous even typing it, but I am reusing the rings. Hopefully, I will get the bottom half of the motor assembled tonight, and then I need to get the heads cleaned up and installed. By the weekend I hope to be trying to start it. I will do a compression test and report back.

The nice thing about these motors is that they are very simple and really do not have that many pieces. If reusing the rings is not a good thing, I can tear it down and rebuild it in a couple of days not that I am familiar with it. I hope not to have to do that of course. The other thing I have learned in the last couple of weeks is that by the time I spend $100 for 2 sets of rings and shipping, then spend $125 on a rebuild kit with all the seals and gaskets, I could buy a running motor for the same price. So it is not really cost effective to do a rebuild if you replace everything. As it stands now, I have $125 in a seal/gasket kit, $30 in a water pump gasket kit, $60 in a cam chain, and $30 in various cleaners. So at just under $250, it probably would have been smarter for me to have bought a running motor, but this bike was in such bad shape when I bought it, that I enjoy the challenge of getting it running, even if I spend a few extra dollars on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.