Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd share this tip with you guys.

I was cleaning up a pair of old brake calipers I picked up on ebay a while ago. They looked to be in very good condition but I couldnt get the pistons out!

Thought about hooking them up with an old master cyclender etc and pumping them out with fluid

(probably the best\safest way) but I was too lazy and not in a rush.

I dont have a compressor so could blow the piston out - and avoided firing a piston into the ceiling (who has done that?
)

Tried levering them out gently - and one did indeed come out! Sweet. No pits, hardly any rust. Good to go.

The other of course was stuck. So I tried bathing oin boiling water then cold - to shock it. Nope.

Tried putting it in the freezer to shock it some more and let the difference in thermal properties of the steel and allow body sort it out for me. Nope - still stuck.

So.. I filled it up with water, sealed the holes and put it back into the freezer.... 30 minutes later the water froze and pushed the piston out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thought I'd share this tip with you guys.

I was cleaning up a pair of old brake calipers I picked up on ebay a while ago. They looked to be in very good condition but I couldnt get the pistons out!

Thought about hooking them up with an old master cyclender etc and pumping them out with fluid

(probably the best\safest way) but I was too lazy and not in a rush.

I dont have a compressor so could blow the piston out - and avoided firing a piston into the ceiling (who has done that?
)

Tried levering them out gently - and one did indeed come out! Sweet. No pits, hardly any rust. Good to go.

The other of course was stuck. So I tried bathing oin boiling water then cold - to shock it. Nope.

Tried putting it in the freezer to shock it some more and let the difference in thermal properties of the steel and allow body sort it out for me. Nope - still stuck.

So.. I filled it up with water, sealed the holes and put it back into the freezer.... 30 minutes later the water froze and pushed the piston out.

Excellent idea, I don't think I would have ever thought of that. Necessity IS the Mother of Invention.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
thanks.... I have one with a stuck for the last year piston still inside. after this cup o joe, into the freezer it will go.

Thanks Much... this is the kind of knowledge that cannot be bought at any price.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
great idea.

now we have......compressed air,grease and water.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
On a twin piston caliper, you would leave the other piston in held by a C-clamp.
yes,as you do with an air compressor,.......but you dont know in advance which one will pop.

so,thinking ahead,after one pops,thaw it out,replace back in the callper [only enough to seal]then clamp in that position,and do it again.

its still a great idea...cheap,safe and cleans the caliper at the same time

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Necessity IS the Mother of Invention.

What kind of mother names her son Invention? Of course if your mother's name is Necessity, who knows?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Wow....an invention that required ice...and a Canadian didn't think of it!!!! Oh...we are slacking up here!!! But, a great idea.

Ok...as an enhancement...when you put your brake caliper in the freezer, put a Molson Canadian beside it. Put the timer on for 30 minutes and presto...you can reward yourself with a nice cold congratulatory drink while you begin working on the caliper.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
What kind of mother names her son Invention? Of course if your mother's name is Necessity, who knows?

The same kind of mother who has the last name Zappa, a son Frank, and grandkids named Dweezle and MoonUnit.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I don't know...seems like you could crack the caliper housing or cylinder depending on what freezes first. If the piston side freezes over first, the un-frozen water under that first layer of ice will have to push out somewhere. crack Seems much more likely on the dual piston caliper. Maybe not, thinking out loud, you guys try it and get back to us.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.