Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been talked to death, but I think My GL650 is leaning a bit too much. I tried finding the old threads on exactly how far it should lean and how to repair it, but some of the archive links were broken and what I could find was very few. Can you bend those back? Any advice would be great.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I had that problem on my GL650 when I got it. I was almost afraid it was going to tip over on the side stand. I did some measurements by blocking up the side stand to what looked appropriate, and measuring how much longer the stand needed to be to achieve that tilt. It turned out that I calculated that I needed to add 1-1/4" to the stand. I cut the stand at the hollow area and inserted a rod snuggly in both ends about 2", and welded it in. In retrospect, that was a bit too much as I have to have the bike vertical now before I can put the stand down. And the center stand catches on it when retracted. I have to put the side stand down first, before the center stand will clear.

The bike does lean close to the correct angle now, but the slop in the mounting hole is what allows the bike to lean over from vertical. That mounting hole becomes elongated from lack of lube over time and creates a lot of slop as the bolt wallows in the hole. Ideally, you could weld in the hole and redrill to the proper diameter, but it is in a difficult area to weld and drill. I did do that on one bike, somewhat successfully, but it was a pain. If you have the frame stripped, it wouldn't be a problem, but with everything hanging on, it is more difficult.

The other area that causes excessive lean is the yoke part of the stand itself. After 30 years of use without lube, the inner faces of the yoke become concave and act like a rocking chair runner on the stand's tab. I have tried building these faces up with weld also, but with only a "stick" welder to use, that is another tight area to build up properly. You don't want to fill the threaded hole with slag. It can be done, I am not a welding expert, more of a puddle and grind welder.

Even without welding, you can put the yoke in a vise and compress the yoke to a nice fit on the tab, but keeping it compressed is the trick. There is a tremendous torque moment at this area if the bike leans too far and it will open the yoke back up. I tried putting a washer under the head of the both to help hold the yoke in position, and that helped some. With the bolt being a shoulder type, without a washer, the shoulder runs up to the inner threaded part and stops. So the washer effectively shortens the reach of the bolt.

Bending the mounting tab, or replacing it, is also a possibility. I was not comfortable bending it, as that usually weakens the area, and welding on a new one would require that the angle be set up perfectly before welding or you will have similar or worse problems. Once working correctly, the pivot area needs to be kept lubed. With the exhaust in the way, this is not the easiest area to disassemble and lube either.

Try some or all of the above, and see if it works for you. The good thing about messing with just the stand part is that you can always source a new one if you mess up too bad.

·
Registered
511 Posts
The CX650Custom has just the opposite lean. I gotta be careful to be on level ground or have a slight angle on the left side or the thing wants to fall over on the right. Thought about shortening the stand but will just be careful.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Same here with my CX Standard. I thought it may be a function of the tires (Conti "Go's") since they seem a might bigger in height? I have a MIG welder and have though I might add on a bit of metal to the side stand. When I do use it I put it down, set the bike on it, and pull the bike backwards to make sure I have good contact.

The majority of the time, I use the center stand. Just feel more confident with it than the side stand.

Here is pic I took the other day. Need to get a front view to show the lean.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts