Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone, I just bought my first bike, a 1981 cx500 custom. Its in great shape all original about 19000 miles on it. I have just done an oil change, cleaned the air filter, flushed and replaced the coolant system, and possibly going to do a full carb clean in the near future as I dont know when the last one was done. My question though relates to the idle speed adjustment, while at idle its only running at about 600 rpm and tends to just quit and die on my if i dont keep the throttle on, I have the service manual and plan to do the adjustment by the book (throttle air speed adjuster and pilot screw adjustment etc.) but the only problem is the pilot screw head is broken off on the right carb :(, there is still a small nub sticking out that i could get with some needle nose pliers or by jb welding something to it to get a better grip and removing it. My question is can I remove it (and replace it with a new one) without removing both carburetors entirely? for example it I drained the carb and removed the bowl while it is still mounted? sorry if this is a dumb question like I said its my first bike so I'm still learning, though i have worked on many boat engines growing up so i am mechanically experienced. any help is great thanks!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
You can remove the pilot screw without draining the bowl or removing the carb, note that there is a small spring, washer, and o-ring in there with the pilot screw (usually the oring doesn't just fall out). So make sure that what ever comes out goes back in.
The pilots should be about 2-1/2 turns out from fully turned in.....then set your idle with big black knob on the bottom of your carb

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can remove the pilot screw without draining the bowl or removing the carb, note that there is a small spring, washer, and o-ring in there with the pilot screw (usually the oring doesn't just fall out). So make sure that what ever comes out goes back in.
The pilots should be about 2-1/2 turns out from fully turned in.....then set your idle with big black knob on the bottom of your carb
Ill try that thanks

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Don't waste your time trying to tune the carbs when they need a cleaning. You'll just be going around in circles. Yes, I'm sure you would be able to twiddle it to run better at idle, but likely suffer in other engine speed ranges. Then end up chasing ghosts to fix the performance issues.

If you plan on cleaning the carbs, then get a copy of Larry's carb book. Follow the book step by step. Sorry, shortcuts will only lead to a FIAT moment.....(Fix It Again Tony).

Then get a carb rebuild kit from Randaak's. The Randaak's kit will have all the bits and pieces needed when you rebuild the carbs.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Don't waste your time trying to tune the carbs when they need a cleaning. You'll just be going around in circles. Yes, I'm sure you would be able to twiddle it to run better at idle, but likely suffer in other engine speed ranges. Then end up chasing ghosts to fix the performance issues.

If you plan on cleaning the carbs, then get a copy of Larry's carb book. Follow the book step by step. Sorry, shortcuts will only lead to a FIAT moment.....(Fix It Again Tony).

Then get a carb rebuild kit from Randaak's. The Randaak's kit will have all the bits and pieces needed when you rebuild the carbs.
I did both and it was more than worth it! Bike is running great after the carb clean and rebuild.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya I think Im going to do that, I drained the carbs this morning and there was a little bit of residue in the fuel, I took off the gas tank and the petcock works fine and theres nothing in the fuel coming from directly out of there. So I'm guessing that either theres something clogged in the float needle or possibly one of the o rings is coming apart, which means Ill definitely have to rebuild them.But do most kits include new pilot screws? I can't seem to find any online and a few of the kits I looked at didn't include them.

·
Registered
7,521 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts