Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we got the "long cool woman" partially undressed today. She still looks pretty good with just some bling-bling hanging on her front. I know you just opened this post to see dirty pictures, and so not to disappoint any dirty old men, I'll post a couple.

But we did get the tapered bearing installed in the steering stem. No particular problems, just a lot of stuff to get out of the way first. While we had the forks off, we also drained the oil and installed 20 wt fork oil. Then slipped a new Spitfire S11 on the front rim and put everything back together. Test ride showed no working speedometer. So pulled the front wheel again and nosed about. I think maybe the cogs didn't seat in the drive hub correctly. Those leading front axles are a little different to work on. But got it back together and everything now seemed to work.

I'm sure Rick will chime in with comments as soon as he gets back home and rested.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
A big thanks to Blue for the expertise.....now I know how to take front of the bike apart and put it back together including the wheel, speedometer and forks....it's never really to awful hard, just gotta see how to do it.

The forks are now much stiffer with the new oil, the bike handles much better and rides better at high speeds with the new tapered bearings and the new Spitfire S11 to match the rear one I had put on last week. Oh yes we made sure to put the front tire on facing the right direction the FIRST TIME. Took us about 7 hours to do it all....learned a lot as always and the Papa Johns pizza was real good. I hadn't had Papa Johns for about 10 yrs since I lived in the Atlanta area.

60 mile trip back home on the interstate and it RIDES GOOD !! She has 24k miles.

·
Registered
816 Posts
@Rickbert - sorry I didn't get over there in time to meet you. Was pretty busy with my support stuff for the bike ride. Guess you heard I called about 3:00 p.m. I was about 35 miles north of you guys and wasn't able to get away to visit before you left. We'll have to get together for another meet up, all of us on our bikes!

Sexy pictures...ah, got any more of the sexy ol' gal?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
@Rickbert - sorry I didn't get over there in time to meet you. Was pretty busy with my support stuff for the bike ride. Guess you heard I called about 3:00 p.m. I was about 35 miles north of you guys and wasn't able to get away to visit before you left. We'll have to get together for another meet up, all of us on our bikes!

Sexy pictures...ah, got any more of the sexy ol' gal?

Brian,

No problem, knew ya had a busy day planned.....unless one of you guys have some wrenching to do maybe next time we can meet up and JUST RIDE for a couple hours....maybe head out somewhere, have some lunch and ride back....although I'm always up for wrenching and learning something new if someone else has something that needs to be wrenched.

As far as more nude photos of my lady you guys will have to wait for next month's issue of PLAYBIKE magazine....LMAO

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well we got the "long cool woman" partially undressed today. She still looks pretty good with just some bling-bling hanging on her front. I know you just opened this post to see dirty pictures, and so not to disappoint any dirty old men, I'll post a couple.

But we did get the tapered bearing installed in the steering stem. No particular problems, just a lot of stuff to get out of the way first. While we had the forks off, we also drained the oil and installed 20 wt fork oil. Then slipped a new Spitfire S11 on the front rim and put everything back together. Test ride showed no working speedometer. So pulled the front wheel again and nosed about. I think maybe the cogs didn't seat in the drive hub correctly. Those leading front axles are a little different to work on. But got it back together and everything now seemed to work.

I'm sure Rick will chime in with comments as soon as he gets back home and rested.

cool she looks fantastic

1979 cx500

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
What a difference the fork fluid makes.....I took it out on the rural twisties today and wow. I purposely came to a hard stop with the front brakes and NO MORE DIVE or I should say not as much and you hardly notice it because it dives much slower and much more controlled.

For anyone thinking about converting to the 20w fork oil....DO IT !

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Oh yeah and finally the last thing I learned yesterday was after you're done working on the bike, especially if you've had the bars moved all over the place and you get everything all put together and you go to start it and it doesn't start right up like it normally does CHECK THE KILL SWITCH before you flood the damn thing so bad it backfires ! LMAO

·
Registered
5,563 Posts

208 views........wtf

you covered a fair bit of work,glad it all worked out well

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
208 views........wtf

you covered a fair bit of work,glad it all worked out well

Bandit...as Blue said it wasn't really difficult work at all to replace the bearings...most of the time spent was getting everything out of the way to get to the triple tree...then to get all the cables, wiring back routed in the right places

·
Registered
816 Posts
Brian,

No problem, knew ya had a busy day planned.....unless one of you guys have some wrenching to do maybe next time we can meet up and JUST RIDE for a couple hours....maybe head out somewhere, have some lunch and ride back....although I'm always up for wrenching and learning something new if someone else has something that needs to be wrenched.

As far as more nude photos of my lady you guys will have to wait for next month's issue of PLAYBIKE magazine....LMAO

Yep, got home last night about 9:45 p.m. after a long day. Boy, was it fun! Supporting my fellow bicycle riders for a worth cause really recharges the 'good karma' batteries.

I agree we need to have a Missouri CX owners meetup some place and soon. Would be fun to go out riding here in the next couple of month as the wx is enjoyable, and the trees will be turning colors.

Playbike magazine? I may need a subscription to that!

+1 on the 20 wt oil. Found a bottle of Synthetic 20 wt for outboard motors at the Wal*Mart in Festus one day. Doesn't seem to be sold at the others for some reason & the bottle I picked up was just under $7 for a quart. Check the boating section near automotive if one is looking for it. Plan to try it out in my forks before I try out putting the air hose from the '82 on for a fork upgrade. Sounds good on your results.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
yes mine are the air forks and we put 12 lbs of pressure in....

Don't know about you guys but I'm thinking maybe we can plan on Saturday Oct 2 for a ride ?? I think Roger w/be home that weekend.....of course he'll have to ask the Mrs. first if it's ok if he plays with his friends...LMAO (teasing) !

I'll start another thread to see if there's any interest from others.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Oh yeah and finally the last thing I learned yesterday was after you're done working on the bike, especially if you've had the bars moved all over the place and you get everything all put together and you go to start it and it doesn't start right up like it normally does CHECK THE KILL SWITCH before you flood the damn thing so bad it backfires ! LMAO

LOL "Why is it cranking, and cranking, and cranking.... ....Oh, D'uh!" Yeah, I've done that. Just once or twice, mind you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.