Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, do any of you have a picture of "good" drive splines vs "bad" splines? I finally had time to take my original wheel off and looking at it compared with my newer '82 wheel, the splines look very similar. Here's the best pics I could get, they are only the newer wheel as I mistakenly took pictures of it twice and now its too dark to take a pic of my original wheel splines.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Below is a pic of my spare wheel with good splines

Sorry its not the best picture but I only have a cheapo camera

and its useless at macro shots

(bloody crap colour too, must get decent camera again)

anyway.

The teeth are slightly tapered and symetrical

ie

gaps should be the same size/shape as the teeth.

I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at on your pic but they look a bit

sharp or needle like to me, this may be the effect of grease and muck obscuring the shot, not sure.

heres my spare wheel

HTH

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I decided to take both flanges off to get them good and clean, and there is actually a difference. The one I have pictured, from my new wheel, has splines that come to a sharp point, like a triange. From the diagrams I've looked at in my manual and from comparing it to your picture, these are definitely worn. My original flange is in better shape so I'll be using it, but new question now. The manual shows a rubber O ring between the wheel and the flange, but I can't find any reference to the size and neither one of my wheels has one.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In looking around on ebay I found a part that 'looks' a lot like my flange, but its from Honda's 3 wheeler from the same year. What do you think the chance of it being the same part are, and how do I figure out if it is the same piece?

EDIT: I'll let y'all know the answer to my question, I may have just bought an expensive paper weight but for $20 I can take the chance. It'll mean I'll have to drive my truck slower on the highway to save in gas money, but I'm in no hurry to get anywhere anyhow. This is what I just bought, looks exactly the same and I just counted and it has the right number of splines. Doesn't mean its the same part, I know:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bear, thanks for those pictures, that makes it very clear. The teeth on my new wheel look a lot like the ones in your lower picture. The experimental flange I just ordered looks just like your top picture, I'm keeping my fingers crossed it'll work.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
In looking around on ebay I found a part that 'looks' a lot like my flange, but its from Honda's 3 wheeler from the same year. What do you think the chance of it being the same part are, and how do I figure out if it is the same piece?...

I just checked it at the reverse parts lookup and it does not mention being used on any 3 wheeler. But it does look like most of the CX and GL bikes use the same part.

Should it not fit, it may be easier to get a complete rear wheel just for the flange.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was looking through those parts lists too, and from what I can see that 3 wheeler was chain driven! I'm pretty sure there's no way at all the flange I just bought came off an 82 honda 3 wheeler.

·
Registered
219 Posts
In the linked forum they were talking about Trikes (three wheeled motorcycles) having the same part. The chain drive you mention would make sense on a three wheel ATV. If the part you ordered doesn't work for you - although I bet it does - then one of the goldwing guys might want to buy it. Good luck.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Scary part of those pictures is, the previous day I was racing my bro-in-law at 100mph.!!!

Took the wheels off to check the brakes etc, and found the flange, in that shape.

Went down the news stand and bought a lottery ticket...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.