Honda CX 500 Forum banner

721 - 739 of 739 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #721
Developing skills is a great thing.

I used to work in the frame assembly section of a bicycle manufacturer, employed as their grit blaster.

But they taught me to braze weld so I could fill in for the welders, as I did frequently.

When I first started it was tongue in the corner of the mouth stuff.

After a while it seemed I could just waggle torch and rod in the general direction.

Same operation, much practice.

I doubt I'll ever get that sort of practice with soldering though the principles are the same.

I've failed at silver soldering a few times now.

·
Super Moderator
20,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #724
Ever noticed that the performance of a CX seems to fall off after a camchain replacement Charles?

The side of the motor the tensioner assembly is situated on means that as the tensioner takes up slack the cam timing retards - and CXs like it.

It's not actually my doing but what it does is makes more torque while moving the torque zone higher up the rev range.

Seat still not covered I'm afraid.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I’m pretty sure the cam chain adjuster is on the slack side of the chain. Timing really shouldn’t change with cam chain adjustment. I have no experience with gain or loss of performance from chain replacement. Not arguing with you but very interested in this subject.

·
Super Moderator
20,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #726
I've replaced a fair number of chains now. I don't always get to ride them first either.

But I have noticed a minor drop in performance a number of times. Not marked but rather a slight loss of edge.

The tensioner is on the slack side

Next time you replace a chain check the range of motion the wera allows and divide by two. This is roughly the degrees difference and it's a surprising amount.

Or don't divide by 2 and call it crank degrees.

·
Registered
24,166 Posts
it is very common mod on cars to do a cam retard or slight advance
depending on what you want as the cx is a high rev motor i choose to make the gears ]
with a retard to make it have more torque at higher rpm for passing on the highway
its fun but not a practical item to produce in quantity

·
Registered
565 Posts
I've added a bail to the sidestand using an old crescent spanner. Placing of this was worked out not to interfere with my foot while on the peg. There is just enough hanging out to catch with my toe and the stand goes up and down well using the foot ..... which is kinda the whole point. :)

I'll file and emery the welds tonight.

View attachment 179301 View attachment 179303 View attachment 179305 View attachment 179307
Love the box wrench for the kickstand lever!

·
Registered
565 Posts
The only progress this week is on the indicator mounts, which are nearing completion.

I've worked out how to get the wires out and also the routing to be used on the bike. To which end I've filed a groove so the wire will exit the mounting tube and run between the bracket and fork leg.

View attachment 180173

I've drilled a few shallow decorative holes and filed a bevel around the edge.

View attachment 180175 View attachment 180177

The filed bevel was sanded to 7000 and the other areas to 240 before polishing for a bit of contrast.

View attachment 180179 View attachment 180181 View attachment 180183

The mounting rods were made from a length of 16 mm aluminium rod, which is the closest I could get to the 14 mm I wanted to start with.

This has been turned down on the belt sander to 14 mm at the indicator end and 12.5 at the other and drilled through for the wire.

These will be mounted with stainless M6 grub screws that I have on order.

Clamping has been checked on a spare fork tube and found to be effective.

I think I'll finish these tonight so should be mounting them soon. :)
The fabrication you do by hand blows me away! You are the poster child for "If there's a will, there's a way"! Good stuff!

·
Super Moderator
20,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #732
Hand fabricated 'cos I'm a cheapskate .... and it's a hobby.

I like the one off parts, no one else has them. But one main issue is that anything within my price range is Chinese garbage that I'd prefer not to use.

I've been carving a slightly thicker pad for the seat before I cover it. Not much progress made here as most times I get out to the shed lately I'll be painting or assembling something that I don't want loaded up with yeller foam crumbs. But I'll get there eventually.

Already looking at a couple of minor revisions to lose more weight.

The fork brace could lose a little and I'm thinking of making a new battery tray/holder from aluminium to save a little more.

·
Super Moderator
13,681 Posts
A couple of old sayings:
If you didn't build it yourself you don't really own it.
There's no talent or originality in writing a cheque and bolting something on.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm thinking of making a new battery tray/holder from aluminium to save a little more.
You must have got a fair bit off it in little bits here and there...

·
Super Moderator
20,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #737
I took this for a blast early in the day and decided it was time the seat was covered.

So ..... done.

Nothing fancy - I took the low road. It's a stretch and glue job, no seams, no piping, no stitching.

I added a little medium density foam first. It was a bit firm. That was 'sculpted' to shape top and bottom with 36 grit bogpaper and glued to the existing foam.

Not quite sur if I'm ready to call this one finished yet.

It's dirty so I'll give it a wash and give it a good lookover for any loose details.

·
Super Moderator
13,681 Posts
I prefer seats with as little stitching as possible and no piping. Piping can create pressure points and stitching lets the rain in so seats with that nice looking diamond stitching pattern that is intended to allow a bit of airflow let water pool in the low parts and soak into the foam so you are sitting on a damp seat for days (if you don't take it out in the rain washing it can cause this).

Other than just looking at those handlebars making my back hurt that is a really sharp looking bike. I'm not normally a big fan of gray vehicles but I especially like the colour you chose and the way the subtle pinstripes set it off.

·
Super Moderator
20,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #739
The seat should be a lot more comfortable with the extra padding and the cover as the cover actually spreads your weight over a larger area of padding. I'll find out shortly as I have some errands to run.

Frans embroidered cover will eventually be made into a lace on cover for special occasions.

The bike is surprisingly comfortable even with the low bars. I put some time into the footpeg placement and everything feels about right. I've ridden a few with clubmans - both with and without rearsets and they WERE uncomfortable. The thingy doesn't quite have the same reach to the bars.

I have one coming for a triple in a week or so. When I test rode it i felt like I was laying on the thing. Big reach to the bars, pegs set right back. My pegs are about 40 mm behind the stock location, not 150.

721 - 739 of 739 Posts