Honda CX 500 Forum banner

721 - 729 of 729 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #721
Developing skills is a great thing.

I used to work in the frame assembly section of a bicycle manufacturer, employed as their grit blaster.

But they taught me to braze weld so I could fill in for the welders, as I did frequently.

When I first started it was tongue in the corner of the mouth stuff.

After a while it seemed I could just waggle torch and rod in the general direction.

Same operation, much practice.

I doubt I'll ever get that sort of practice with soldering though the principles are the same.

I've failed at silver soldering a few times now.

·
Super Moderator
20,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #724
Ever noticed that the performance of a CX seems to fall off after a camchain replacement Charles?

The side of the motor the tensioner assembly is situated on means that as the tensioner takes up slack the cam timing retards - and CXs like it.

It's not actually my doing but what it does is makes more torque while moving the torque zone higher up the rev range.

Seat still not covered I'm afraid.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I’m pretty sure the cam chain adjuster is on the slack side of the chain. Timing really shouldn’t change with cam chain adjustment. I have no experience with gain or loss of performance from chain replacement. Not arguing with you but very interested in this subject.

·
Super Moderator
20,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #726
I've replaced a fair number of chains now. I don't always get to ride them first either.

But I have noticed a minor drop in performance a number of times. Not marked but rather a slight loss of edge.

The tensioner is on the slack side

Next time you replace a chain check the range of motion the wera allows and divide by two. This is roughly the degrees difference and it's a surprising amount.

Or don't divide by 2 and call it crank degrees.

·
Registered
24,148 Posts
it is very common mod on cars to do a cam retard or slight advance
depending on what you want as the cx is a high rev motor i choose to make the gears ]
with a retard to make it have more torque at higher rpm for passing on the highway
its fun but not a practical item to produce in quantity

721 - 729 of 729 Posts