Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
At this point this thread is prologue to a build thread.

This was my first CX. I had never heard of the C model and this bike had a standard seat and tank sitting on it. Many parts like the instruments has already been sold when I bought it. It took a while to work out what it actually was.

For starters I'll outline the known history of this bike, its first resurrection and then will be moving on to its upcoming rebuild.

I bought this bike in a shocking state in 2009. It was running but had a few ..... issues.

The rear engine cover needed to be replaced as it was cracked through to the inspection port. Silicon abounded.

Note the missing engine mount bolts. Maybe they were sold along with other parts, maybe he rode it like that...

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Automotive fuel system

The rear of the camshaft was broken off, the impeller and coolant pump cover removed, copper pipe soldered to the coolant pump dowels with a drill operated pump running from a flex drive cable from the rear of the cam. Needless to say the cam also required replacement.

The bike was running no airbox - or filtration of any kind - as this space was occupied by the drill pump, which had died.

The main carb bracket was also cut and bent to allow clearance for this. Not having the pile of parts I have now accumulated I made this part from 3.5 - 4 mm sheet aluminium. I recently rebuilt these carbs and retained the alluminium bracket.

The fork seals were both leaking and the calipers and pads were saturated with oil. Something of a moot point as due to hydraulic leaks there was no fluid left and subsequently no brake whatsoever.

The forks were rebuilt at this time and still haven't leaked a drop.

A new stator was required so a dead G8 was sourced and a home rewind done.

Automotive tire Vehicle brake Wheel Crankset Bicycle part

And the stock CDI at the time was powered by one of Raymans early offerings - the Raymodule PSU {power supply unit}. These work well and are the best diagnostic tool for stators aside from powering the CDI in normal use.

Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior

I'll just post up the pics of this bike that I have from this period. Unfortunately I lost most of them some years back in a computer crash. These are lifted from a thread on the Oz forum.

A proper 500C seat was bought from ebay and recovered.

Automotive tire Fender Motorcycle Bicycle saddle Rim

Here it is undergoing an orange phase. I bought this tank and sidecovers already in this colour so I could have access to its own parts to be painted.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Helmet Gas Wood Armour Cookware and bakeware

Primer

Comfort Chair Fender Gas Automotive design

Organism Font Metal Auto part Circle

This bike was actually being used up until shortly before I bought it. No fuctional cooling or front brake didn't stop the feller.

He came off it on the Salisbury highway. I believe the police would have attended and if they did they would have defected this one. In SA you can't sell a vehicle under defect unless it is as parts. When I went to register it there were issues. After much checking with supervisers the man behind the counter did register it for me. he said the person I bought it from would be getting a visit from the police. I believe for selling a defected vehicle without notification of defect and filling in the change of ownership form - which I insisted on even though the rego was expired.

·
Super Moderator
23,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
New master cylinder, currently sitting in a drawer due to being replaced when the sight glass turned to snot. Have just bought two through a link Bob put up earlier today.

Watch Automotive lighting Light Automotive tire Product

It was fitted with a Tarrozzi fork brace

Material property Tool Font Audio equipment Gas

after stripping the texture and names from it and polishing.

Product Musical instrument accessory Gadget Audio equipment Camera accessory

This time around I will remove the extensions for the dust seals and use modern internal dust seals as I did on my thingy.

Bumper Material property Helmet Font Goggles

More after I've cooked Mrs. phreak dinner. ;)

·
Super Moderator
23,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Discs were drilled for me by Ralph {Hamilton].

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim

This was the paintjob I did at the time. I bought a mistint of blue micah pearl cheap.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Musical instrument Automotive tire Hood Bicycle saddle Synthetic rubber

Fender Gas Snout Personal protective equipment Composite material

This was cut and polished and I rode the bike for some years with the plain blue.

Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Super Moderator
23,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I got the white 500C from Dragonstaff it was plain Holden arctic white. Dave had painted it and done a credible job - but it hadn't been cut and polished.

So I cut it and went through the paint.

Dave had supplied the rest of the can he used so I fixed a couple of small ripples and painted it again. To me it looked a little stark so I painted stockish panels on it.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior Hood

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

While I was doing this I also did the parts for the blue one. It also needed this.

Automotive parking light Grille Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Tank stickers are from ebay, sidecovers are waterslide transfers made by me, both under clearcoat with some pearl added.

And this is where it sits right now .... waiting .....

·
Super Moderator
23,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, it was a little bland.

Painting the laundry here at the moment. Then I'll be getting this down to the back of my shed for the ripping to bits.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts