Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just put those crash bars on and realized when it was time to put the tank on that the petcock is not going to clear.
Wrong set of crash bars....or wrong petcock? What is the best way to make this work?
Thank you.

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Super Moderator
22,915 Posts
A petcock without a sediment bowl should clear.

CXs don't usually have the sediment bowl so I ASSume the petcock is aftermarket as I've bought a couple just like it off ebay.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes sense........because I have seen these kind of crash bars on a lot of these bikes. So, do I buy a stock petcock for the CX, or any other petcock without the sediment bowl. Just want to make sure I will buy the right one.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Measure the existing p/cock diameter before purchase....a guide is here....
(Most ebay listings will have the full-dimensions but that will all be similar in physical size without the bowl......the threadsize is the important thing...you can get a universal part, or a HONDA sourced one..)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now it is slowly coming back to me. This one is a 1981 and it came with a vacuum petcock, which I converted to a non vacuum one. So, it actually is the stock one, I believe.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
According to MotoFaction it needs to be a 18mm. Looks like those are a bit harder to find.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it does look bent on the picture. But the tank on the cx500D is slightly angled downward towards the seat. I think Honda put that angle in it so the petcock is perpendicular to the ground or...........maybe it's just bent as Murray stated.

I just got this one on E-bay. Not sure about thread pitch, though.

Vintage Honda Motorcycle / ATV Fuel Valve Petcock - 18mm x 1.0mm | eBay

Reactions: bahn88

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
All the 18mm ones I've seen (listed) are 1.0...so you should be OK I think...(the bolt up will be the test when it arrives....)
The smaller diameter (16mm) that I have on my bikes are generally 1.5mm pitch....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts