Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I start a ride yesterday, and the valve is in the 12 o'clock position, on. I happen to look at the valve today after cleaning the mountain of dust out of my air filter (routine maintenance here), and now it's facing 2 o'clock.

This isn't the first time this has happened, but it seems to be crawling more towards off over time. There's no way I'm hitting it with my knee (I don't party like that while riding), so the only thing I can think of is that the engine is vibrating it out of position. :unsure:

Nothing urgent here, just a curious development over the last few months. Though at the rate it's going, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns itself completely off eventually.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
I've never heard of that one. I can only imagine your answer to be the correct one. Start looking for a petcock. I'm sure there are many available that will suit the need. I can't remember which is which when it comes to the sizes, but I know there are a few differences.

·
Super Moderator
15,448 Posts
The petcock should need definite pressure to switch from one position to another. If it is loose enough to move on its own the seal is probably very worn and possibly leaking (off isn't really off again and/or you may not have a real reserve).

·
Registered
839 Posts
There should be a repair for that. I had to repair mine on my gl500c. It was not loose, it had a bad vacumm diapharm. Other wise it was tight.

·
Super Moderator
15,448 Posts
There are kits for the vacuum part but not for the main valve. I spent a lot of time experimenting with a few replacement seals for them but in the end I finally replaced it. Most on the forum recommend just changing to a non vacuum type and turning it off when you park but I'm experimenting with a separate vacuum valve too.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts