Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
when I turn the petcock off it leaks. I am looking for a replacement. thanks. sds

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hello,
when I turn the petcock off it leaks. I am looking for a replacement. thanks. sds
Turbo petcocks are unique having a return not normally present on other bikes. These are unobtanium. Used will get you one like you already have- leaking. Follow the thread below. Every veteran turbo owner has done this more than once :)

All- I added this to the new FAQ Turbo section in the WIKI.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Has anyone ever used the other entrance to the tank for the return line? Does it work well? Would two "normal" petcocks do the job?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've been thinking about it for a while, but wonder if anyone actually tried it.
There is one drawback I can think of - incase a person forget to open the 'return' petcock and switches bike on - Would the pressure build-up by the pump might cause a lot of damage?

There are two huge advantages: one being the use of commonly available petcocks with plenty of spare parts, and the second is that it would be easier to disconnect the tank and remove it from the bike without spilling tons of flammable liquid from the return hole.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Has anyone ever used the other entrance to the tank for the return line? Does it work well? Would two "normal" petcocks do the job?
I am fitting a smaller tank to my race bike and that was my intention and I think it is a feasible idea. I am going to fit a Pingel brand petcock on the supply side and figure a cheap Ebay one would function fine for the return side. Yes, making sure both are open would be important, but the bike doesn't run too long without the supply side, so forgetting to open both wouldn't last too long.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I am fitting a smaller tank to my race bike and that was my intention and I think it is a feasible idea. I am going to fit a Pingel brand petcock on the supply side and figure a cheap Ebay one would function fine for the return side. Yes, making sure both are open would be important, but the bike doesn't run too long without the supply side, so forgetting to open both wouldn't last too long.
Looking forward to see the end result!

·
Registered
709 Posts
I think inadvertenly running it with a closed return it will probably blow the diagfram from the fuel pressure regulator or even damage the fuel injectors.

Maybe it is better and cheaper and safer to use a "one way check valve" on the return line

·
Registered
436 Posts
The Kawasaki turbo has a separate return and yes there is a check valve. your proposing something that is tried and true on another bike setup

Reactions: oshoshan

·
Registered
210 Posts
What's the diameter of our fuel lines? any one remembers of the top of their minds? is it 6, 8 or 10mm?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts