Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should the gas be coming out if the valve is in the "on" position, or is it suction fed?

I'm trying to start the bike right now, and it hasn't been started in a while. Just wanted to clarify.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
1981 and later had vacuum peacocks,,

or maybe that's pet peacocks

If you have a vacuum petcock, the engine has to be turning over to create vacuum before fuel will flow from it.

See this thread for more on this

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Should the gas be coming out if the valve is in the "on" position, or is it suction fed?

I'm trying to start the bike right now, and it hasn't been started in a while. Just wanted to clarify.
You should probably update your info so your profile info has your location because you might live next door to me or another member, and the year and model of your bike, because if I knew what year it was, I could tell you... If it has multiple hoses coming out the back of the petcock then it's suction, if the only line that comes off the petcock goes straight to the carbs it's gravity pull...

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
The vacuum petcock just turn it to "off" when the engine isn't running. If you let one sit for a month or you'll need to pull that vacuum hose an suck on it to get gas into the carb bowls.

Once opened, or on bikes with regular petcocks, the flow is due to gravity alone.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Open the flat head screw on the float bowel (lower part on the carb, on the side) and verify that gas trickles out. I love my clear gas line and fuel filter
When taking my gas line off the carby, sometimes I hear a suction, and mine is gravity fed. Make sure the hole in your gas cap isn't plugged.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.