Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen any PAV Mono wheel trailer build instructions. I'm slightly curious but not exactly sure how to do the wheel mount or suspension area.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Stitch,

I´ve got a PAV in my garage. Long term (I mean L O N G!!) project.

The chassis is OK - blasted + painted and the wheel + suspension are also fixed. The trailer body itself is still unpainted and so far not attached to the chassis. Wiring, paint preps + paint are what I have to do. Sometime!

I don´t have any build instructions but can take any picture you may wish of my PAV. There are two varieties of the suspension - one with rubber elements and one with two small shocks. I have the rubber variant.

Maybe I can dig something out from sites I´ve been reading from in the past - must try to remember where they were.

There´s a guy, Jan Månsson, not far from me who makes all sorts of components / spares to these trailers from SS. Maybe you can be helped with a couple of pictures from his site.

http://www.pav.se/

Sture

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Are you building your own or have you found an existing one?

Regardless I have no help, but am curious if you are constructing from scratch.

I am sure you have seen the Unigo trailers, similiar to what you are after, with the exception

of the wheel being inset to the body, and taking away cargo space.

I was going to say it looks like a sidecar rigs tub, then I saw "Stures" website

and sure enough there was one, great pics from the gallery on that site.

Good luck on this project.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was just curious because my brother was thinking of building one but the suspension element looks the hardest. The rest seems to be a gooseneck with a basic platform on it. If it were on a bicycle it wouldn't need suspension but on a motorcycle i'm pretty sure it's needed.

I also saw a build where a guy took a hardware store dolly and reduced it to one wheel but it didn't look so good.

·
Registered
CX500 Z 1978 , Rickman Polaris fairing, currently GL500 front, Ignitech etc. subject to change
304 Posts
AFAIK these PAVs didn't come as a kit, so no building instructions. But for pictures of a restoration look here http://www.vanengelenhoven.net/ If you have any questions write to the site owner (Erik), English is OK, and he'll probably be happy to give you answer.

Frans

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How abouts do you think that someone would make a tire/suspension to attach to the frame? I was thinking some sort of light spring suspension make maybe shocks off a moped but i'm not really sure.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I was thinking just like that. Maybe those little shocks you can buy for under the seat if you build a rigid? Or just get a couple of wrecked pusbikes....

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think you've got it with that last picture. A small spring shock to carry the weight. Key is that mounting to the motorcycle, it needs to be able to turn side to side but not tilt side to side. That means you're not using a ball hitch anymore.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I think the idea with the bicycle trailer on Stitch´s picture isn´t identical with the PAV.

The PAV hinge on the bike - a horizontal bracket -

http://www.pav.se/bilder delar/fastgaffel-stor.jpg

is connected to the trailer with a special made universal joint, through which two axles go - one horizontal and one vertical. The vertical one goes through a bracket on the trailer "gooseneck".

http://www.pav.se/bilder delar/knutkors-stor.jpg

I can´t see how the bicycle variant on Stitch´s picture can take up vertical movements.

Sture

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have a plan to build a uni-wheel trailer for my bike.

I am going to use the back frame of a old dirt bike.

like a XR185 or SL125 or something.

then build a "Z" style tongue and mount it to the bike with a drive shaft u-joint.

I plan on no ball, just using a receiver and a pin.

A good solid connection that way.

that will give me suspension, access to DOT tires, allow the trailer to follow the bike through dips and around corners but be held in line with the bike vertically at all times.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts