Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick question I found someone that has an 81 GL500 and wants to sell it for parts. Engine runs, barely. Stator is shot. Everything else is more or less okay. It has no fairing.

Would this be useable for my 82GL? I was thinking of buying just the front brake stuff but he is offering the whole bike for $150. is this worth it for my bike as a back-up parts store?

Thanks guys!

Randy

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'd jump on it for 150, put some of that on ebay and you'll surely make that back. Hell carbs alone are usually 100 on ebay.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so I can use most of it on my bike? That's what I am interested in......If there is a lot I can use it's an invaluable storage depot for me....I have the space for it. I might even tinker with the engine to get it ready and then pickle it for later. The stator is toast unless there is a way to repair it......

Randy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay I am going to buy it then.....

thanks guys

Randy

·
Registered
266 Posts
I wish I heard of that deal. Good hunt.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,454 Posts
I was thinking of buying just the front brake stuff but he is offering the whole bike for $150.
Thanks funny. He told me $200.

Grab it while you can. I may want to do a little shopping, though, if there are some items you'd be willing to part with.

R

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
May be he has not had any bites....I was asking about the other stuff in general and he said someone before had modified the frame in the back, so it's not stock. So I am not sure what is there, left and useable. I plan on visiting on Thursday and seeing what he has.

Randall if there is anything you need we can get together and see what you need. I would like to have some extra stuff but if you need something to make yours go you will be welcome to it first. All I really need is the front brake system. Everything else is more gravy than not.

Randy

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,454 Posts
Randall if there is anything you need we can get together and see what you need. I would like to have some extra stuff but if you need something to make yours go you will be welcome to it first. All I really need is the front brake system. Everything else is more gravy than not.
Thanks, Randy.

This is a long term restoration/conversion, so it will be a while before I "make it go." I thought I might possibly need the frame, if I can't successfully straighten the one I have. I'll need to jump through some hoops to re-title it either way. Depending on what modifications he's made, that may still be a possibility.

My main interest is the tank. He said it's "shot," but it may still be useful as a form. (I've got an idea to try building a replica in ABS.)

Let me know if you want help with those fork seals.

R

1 - 10 of 10 Posts