Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is on a GL500i. Was on a ride today, I was going to make a right hand turn, put the turn signal on, nothing. Tried the left hand turn signal, nothing. I stopped and worked the switch a few times, nothing. I noticed the head light was off. Then all of a sudden they started working. So I went about my business, then I noticed that the

turning signal indicators and a slight amount of light showing, I was not using the switch at all, and again the signals would not work. Then everything was OK again, I had cleaned the fuse block. I guess the next thing is to check for a loose wire connection some place.

Ev.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I think I would start checking the grounds first. Classic symptoms of a loose ground wire somewhere. Under the seat, in the fairing, somewhere.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I would start checking the grounds first. Classic symptoms of a loose ground wire somewhere. Under the seat, in the fairing, somewhere.

Thanks, I will ck the ground in the fairing, I was in there there the other day. I clean the ground under the seat last week.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Good idea to clean the ignition switch contacts as well.

Sadly, due to EPA regs regarding chlorinated hydrocarbons we lost most all of the good electrical contact cleaners back in the early 90s and what's left is a poor substitute. If you really want to keep a TRUE electrical contact cleaner around the only thing left that works worth a darn is called DeoxIT: http://www.caig.com/

Yes, it's expensive but during all my years of electronic servicing this stuff would clean switches and controls that other stuff couldn't touch. You can't find it just anywhere either; you almost have to find a large supply house that caters to the electronics service industry (appliances. heat/air) or you can order it from various places on the web such as http://www.mcmelectronics.com

·
Registered
77 Posts
Dear Mr. Horton,

I have a 1978 CX500. Periodically, one or both of my turn signals would not work. One day at a friends' shop I had to move it to another spot to make room for a car coming in on a tow truck. I proceeded to push it backwards and the front wheel dipped into a pot hole I didn't see and in slow motion, high sided on me. These things are a bit top heavy, especially with a Windjammer fairing. Not much damage was done except for a small scuff on the fairing trim but, the rear turn signal was bent slightly. I turned on the ignition to check the lights and signals. The right turn signal didn't work, which was the side it fell on. I pulled the blinker which I hadn't done before to discover there are 3 wires. This unlike the wire schematic in my clymer manual which shows 2 wires. The green wire is ground for the blinker and it is attached to a washer that makes contact with the nut holding the blinker on. The blinkers are rubber mounted, thus the grounding washer. I cleaned it and it worked fine. I also did the left side because of previous failure. No more problems. Just something else to look at when checking the grounding. The 2 frame grounds on my bike are the horn mount on the triple clamp and if I remember correctly threar one is in the tail light section. While your at it, I don't know about the GL but, the CX coils are 1 wire (hot) with the body of the coils being ground to the frame. Some one posted, with pictures of ground straps added to the coils, which I did and a ground strap added to the starter as well. These poor things are getting old and can use every redundancy measure we can provide them with to ensure pleasurable rides without the neccessity of a trailer or pickup truck. (Like a Harley) Sorry. Not.

I do like an XR750. My brother has one.

Hope this helps some.

Aloha

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dear Mr. Horton,

I have a 1978 CX500. Periodically, one or both of my turn signals would not work. One day at a friends' shop I had to move it to another spot to make room for a car coming in on a tow truck. I proceeded to push it backwards and the front wheel dipped into a pot hole I didn't see and in slow motion, high sided on me. These things are a bit top heavy, especially with a Windjammer fairing. Not much damage was done except for a small scuff on the fairing trim but, the rear turn signal was bent slightly. I turned on the ignition to check the lights and signals. The right turn signal didn't work, which was the side it fell on. I pulled the blinker which I hadn't done before to discover there are 3 wires. This unlike the wire schematic in my clymer manual which shows 2 wires. The green wire is ground for the blinker and it is attached to a washer that makes contact with the nut holding the blinker on. The blinkers are rubber mounted, thus the grounding washer. I cleaned it and it worked fine. I also did the left side because of previous failure. No more problems. Just something else to look at when checking the grounding. The 2 frame grounds on my bike are the horn mount on the triple clamp and if I remember correctly threar one is in the tail light section. While your at it, I don't know about the GL but, the CX coils are 1 wire (hot) with the body of the coils being ground to the frame. Some one posted, with pictures of ground straps added to the coils, which I did and a ground strap added to the starter as well. These poor things are getting old and can use every redundancy measure we can provide them with to ensure pleasurable rides without the neccessity of a trailer or pickup truck. (Like a Harley) Sorry. Not.

I do like an XR750. My brother has one.

Hope this helps some.

Aloha

Thanks, I will be sure and check that out!

Ev.

·
Registered
977 Posts
You mentioned that "I had cleaned the fuse block." I hope you are not using the stock main fuse as they are 30 years old and are a problem. The first thing I would do is replace it with the blade fuse modification. There is a post on here that shows pictures and a description.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You mentioned that "I had cleaned the fuse block." I hope you are not using the stock main fuse as they are 30 years old and are a problem. The first thing I would do is replace it with the blade fuse modification. There is a post on here that shows pictures and a description.

Yes, I am still using the same fuze, it still has a spare below the one being used. Thanks I will look up the thread. I will take a look at quick ref:, thanks.

Ev.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,732 Posts
A buddy showed up at my place with the same symptoms on his CB550 one day so I told him to take the headlight out and we'd have a look. When I grabbed the mass of wires and gently moved it around and the signals started to work sometimes. It was a hot day so he hopped on my bicycle and headed off to the corner store to buy a Coke. When he got back I had unplugged everything inside his headlight and returned to working on my own bike. He looked at it and just about cried "How am I going to get that all back together?"

I told him to match up the colours and make sure everything was done up securely. After he was done the signals worked fine and he never had any more electrical problems with it. The rubbing action of breaking and re-making all of the connections disturbed any oxidization inside the connectors so all of the connections were now clean and conducted properly. If it happened now I would have handed him the contact cleaner and told him to spray a bit into each one before he plugged it in.

turning signal indicators and a slight amount of light showing, I was not using the switch at all
You do know that the front signals are also running lights, don't you? They have 1157 bulbs with the low power filaments connected as running lights and the high power filaments as turn signals and the turn signal switch turns off the running light while the signal is in use.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mr Horton,

When you said the signal indiicators were slightly lit, were you refering to the instrument panel turn signal indicator lights? If so, mine occasionally does this too. I couldn't say why. Guessing ground issue. Maybe some one knows. Any help out there?

Thanks

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mr Horton,

When you said the signal indiicators were slightly lit, were you refering to the instrument panel turn signal indicator lights? If so, mine occasionally does this too. I couldn't say why. Guessing ground issue. Maybe some one knows. Any help out there?

Thanks

I think I found the problem. Looked inside the fairing, the wiring was a butcher job. Some connection were put together with duct tape,some with a band aid, really a band aid. Found that there was one wire only holding by a couple of strands of wire. Repaired for now but will be a winter project.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I think I found the problem. Looked inside the fairing, the wiring was a butcher job. Some connection were put together with duct tape,some with a band aid, really a band aid. Found that there was one wire only holding by a couple of strands of wire. Repaired for now but will be a winter project.

Oh the things we find on old neglected bikes.How about a small nail in place of the main fuse
BTSTGTTS

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
On a related nore

I had probelem with indicators and found the contacts in the switch were getting worn away

I had a spare switch assembly which wasnt perfact. but less worn and used that.

It plays up at times but I use switch cleaner to try and keep it in as best conditon

I can.

My RH/light switch is showing signs of age related wear as well

I wouldnt be surprised to see other bikes of this age have similar wear problems

No idea if the switches are available new and what they would cost

so when they get too troublesome, I will probably go for new universal type switches

·
Registered
76 Posts
On a related nore

I had probelem with indicators and found the contacts in the switch were getting worn away

I had a spare switch assembly which wasnt perfact. but less worn and used that.

It plays up at times but I use switch cleaner to try and keep it in as best conditon

I can.

My RH/light switch is showing signs of age related wear as well

I wouldnt be surprised to see other bikes of this age have similar wear problems

No idea if the switches are available new and what they would cost

so when they get too troublesome, I will probably go for new universal type switches

This sounds like exactly what I'm experiencing in this thread. Now that I know to fiddle with the switch until the running light comes back on, the turn signal begins working as well. I can feel the slack in the turn signal switch, and more and more I believe that's the cause of my own problem. A universal switch may be in my future.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts