Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my goal this week is to strip the front end and swing arm off the frame so I can sandblast and paint the neglected CX. I have not re ran wires or anything on a bike before and wanted some tips / tricks for this task. (Aside from taking 100+ photos for the reassembly).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sudbury.

I wish I had your enthusiasm for getting stuff done!

My experience with blasting(actually grit-blasting)a frame was not good.

First, there are numerous holes which lead into the frame tubes which MUST be sealed.

Even having done this, you will probably find the grit gets into the tubes.

When this happens, if using iron grit, the tubes rust real bad, real quick. Especially around the footpegs.

If using some other kind of grit, it still happens only slower.

The grit abrades whatever paint or oxide layer stopped the frame from rusting on the inside.

The stuff seems to get in OK but it is impossible to remove.

I was (un)lucky enough to find a blasting cabinet to take the frame, most people do it outside a cabinet.

Same thing applies. Using a power sander is safer.

There are spray products designed for car sections that should reduce corrosion but I have not tried these.

You don't say how you are going to repaint.

I assume brush. Find a well-used one, prime where necessary & use a good top coat.

Make sure it is exterior-grade paint.

Spray is very wasteful on tubes as most of it seems to miss the target.

Good luck with the swing-arm bearings! Easy to obtain but darned difficult to remove.

·
Registered
31 Posts
How about using paint stripper ?

Use a good stripper. The cheap ones just cause more work.

Sand the frame a bit to let the stripper to get in and do it's thing. If you have a pressure washer you can just water blast off the blistered paint. If not, just use real coarse steel wool and a metal putty knife. Afterward go over it with some SOS pads and water. Then blow dry with compressed air.

Take your frame to a place that does powder coat. It's not that expensive these days.

If not, spray the frame down really good with primer. Two or three coats will do the job if you going to bomb it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I actually fully intended on using grit. I will steer clear of that now for sure.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
After you clean it up why not get it powder coated? Costs a bit but gets into everything.

·
Registered
835 Posts
As for re-assembly, it's always good to have some masking tape, and/or a permanent marker when you are taking things apart. I labelled all my connectors with a simple code (used dots like on a dice) the real challenge is remembering which fasteners go where. That's where I put the fasteners in zip lock bags. i.e. everything from the front end - one bag, everything from the swing arm - another bag - clearly mark the bags with tape or marker. Failing that.. continuously photographing is a good thing too. Back when I did the 750, I used a Polaroid instant camera - worked great - today digital make it better for more photos, but you don't have the hard copy like the polaroid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts