Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I assembled my newly painted final drive and brake plate at the weekend. After googling for hours I decided to go with caliper paint from the states... not a great choice it seems. The plate chips if you look at it, let alone use it :) Whats everyone using in the UK for final drive and brake plate paint? Powder? If so - what about the final drive - my powder coaters do not like oil residue and given the final drive internals are covered in it this could prove to be a problem - I was hoping I could get away with some sort of garage fix - any ideas very welcome!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Powder coating the final drive is probably not an option anyway, as the powder will require high-temp heating, so unless you dismantle it (which is not really recommended) the process will almost certainly ruin any seals within the unit. Paint that you can cure at home in the oven at a fairly low temperature (the drive can get fairly warm on a hot day) is possibly an option.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi
I assembled my newly painted final drive and brake plate at the weekend. After googling for hours I decided to go with caliper paint from the states... not a great choice it seems. The plate chips if you look at it, let alone use it :) Whats everyone using in the UK for final drive and brake plate paint? Powder? If so - what about the final drive - my powder coaters do not like oil residue and given the final drive internals are covered in it this could prove to be a problem - I was hoping I could get away with some sort of garage fix - any ideas very welcome!
it sounds like the surface rejected adhesion. if you are going to repaint, use fine sandpaper to rough up the surface, degreaser to clean the surface then alcohol to clean off any residue, then with gloved hands, tape off and spray. I have learned the hard way how to get paint to stick, and it can take some work.

·
Registered
162 Posts
On my GL I powder coated the brake cover. For the final drive I sanded it down, then cleaned the heck out of it with brake cleaner. Then painted and cleared with automotive paint. On my current CX project I just stripped it with a wire wheel and it looked so pretty I just left is bare metal.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,748 Posts
Not in the same league (cosmetically) as what you guys have done but I dripped some black rust paint on Eccles' final drive while touching up the frame 5 or 6 years and didn't notice until it was dry. I wasn't too upset (it is the winter machine after all) and I figured it would fall off eventually, especially since I hadn't done anything to prep it (I don't think I had even wiped the dust off) but from what I can tell it is all still there with no sign of letting go.
I wish I could always get paint to hold that well where I want it :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts