Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today a friend of mine spent several hours prepping and painting the tank, covers, and front fender for my cx500 (build to be determined). Here's a couple of snapshots. Stripping done by rotary sander, hand 1000, hand 2000 and tack cloth.

I'll add more comments later!

IMG_0236 by bruingolf04, on Flickr

IMG_0231 by bruingolf04, on Flickr

IMG_0229 by bruingolf04, on Flickr

IMG_0235 by bruingolf04, on Flickr

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what it looks like sanded down. It was really hard my buddy said because the sticker imprint was burnt into the plastic. sand too deep and it looks bad, leave it and it looks bad lol. I'll post photos of them all finished here probably tonight! They will most likely be poor lighting as it's gloomy here. I have the tank here at work with me and WOW it looks great!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
254 Posts
Interesting use of Clubman bars...I've seen it done before, but I assumed that it would be fairly uncomfortable on a cruiser styled bike. How do you like them like that?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
is it really bad at our age to be jealous?

i can see in in for a fall

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the comments! I've seen first-hand how gas eats through paint. I'll be careful with napkins at the pump, will be annoying but it's quite alright. The clubmans seem pretty comfortable, I'll be adjusting the angles soon to help with tank clearance and master cylinder level. I'm afraid of the other direction for clubmans, being 6'4 and not wanting to lay down on the tank almost (lol) I'm a little hesitant to use them as prescribed. These bars were on from PO, he was a real jackass (seemingly after the amount of lies he threw at me). From the riding I've done (1-2 hrs max) the bars have been comfortable enough, I'll keep everyone posted. Do you guys like the look of the bars?

Engine paint, exhaust wrap, new seat, Emgo fairing is NEXT!

Tasteful Bob up there is the guy who did most of the work, he's a real stunner with a can. He'll be upgrading to air brush possibly this weekend so if push comes to shove I'll be able to paint ANYTIME!!! Thank you again tasteful bob!

Thank you Bandit!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm confused.. you bought cafe bars yet you have them turned the wrong way and are upside down even tho are are right side up lol ... why not just go with cheap motocross type bars so the controls and throttle cables dont hit the tank cuz they must be close to doing just that arent they?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm confused.. you bought cafe bars yet you have them turned the wrong way and are upside down even tho are are right side up lol ... why not just go with cheap motocross type bars so the controls and throttle cables dont hit the tank cuz they must be close to doing just that arent they?

Re-read my post my friend..."These bars were on from PO, he was a real jackass (seemingly after the amount of lies he threw at me)." lol. PO = previous owner. They were already installed when I got the bike. I haven't had time/need/want/drive/reason to/availability to/etc mess with the bars. Not really a priority as of yet. I'm sure once I'm riding more I'll get to the point where I make a decision on them. I kinda like how they look now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.