Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I was wondering if it is necessary to paint engine guards with engine paint or if I could just use regular paint.

I purchased a set of engine guards from Phil that are a bit on the rusty/scraped up side (I purchased them knowing this), and since I don't want to spend money to get them prepped and re-chromed, I was thinking that they would look really kind of cool if I painted them using that black Rustoleum hammered paint. In fact, I think it would look especially cool if I do indeed paint my bike yellow in the spring.

Also, if I do need to use engine paint, is there a special primer I should use? I mean, is there an engine primer that is also made for high heat?

Anyhow, any input you all have would be great.

Thanks all,

Dan

·
Registered
602 Posts
I painted a rusty set of engine guards black for my GL project bike this past spring.

I first sanded them very lightly, then cleaned them really well using Krud Kutter's rust remover & inhibitor. I then primed them using black Rustoleum Rust Reformer converting primer. After that had cured for a day I spray canned them with Rustoleum's Professional grade high performance gloss black enamel.

They turned out really nice and seem to be holding up very well. I am very careful about not scratching them though.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I dunno if its been covered here but Corse Stainless Steel wool has saved a lot of chrome / steel for me. I just use it dry or with a degreaser if needed...

I've painted a couple bicycles with "barbecue" black... easy to scratch, shows smudges but is easily fixed with another Schpritz of "blackness"

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
If you want durability why don't you have them powder coated! You can even have them do it with a chrome like finish.

·
Registered
602 Posts
If you want durability why don't you have them powder coated! You can even have them do it with a chrome like finish.

I was going to have the engine guards on my project GL powder-coated, but I spent too much money on my carbs

The bike runs GREAT though. The carbs were a good deal.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice guys.

I actually am looking forward to having that black hammered finish on the engine guards. They should look pretty cool, according to the image in my head (which isn't the most dependable thing in the world), and am kind of looking forward to the slight customization. Besides, as scuffed up as they are, it would take a lot of work to get them to a condition good enough for powder coating. I mean, won't they need to be smoothed out and all in order for a good clean and smooth finish? They are pretty gouged up, and the hammered paint would hide most of it, and take your mind off of the rest.

I can take some pictures of their condition, unless Phil doesn't mind me posting the pictures he sent to me. I mean, they aren't perfect, but I think they will come out pretty good going the route I'm thinking.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
Since the powder coating is pretty thick, you could have the gouges filled up with brazing rod and grind it down smooth again with those small 320 grit grinding wheels from Harbor freight tools. That would fill them up nice and get them ready to coat.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys.

I actually am looking forward to having that black hammered finish on the engine guards. They should look pretty cool, according to the image in my head (which isn't the most dependable thing in the world), and am kind of looking forward to the slight customization. Besides, as scuffed up as they are, it would take a lot of work to get them to a condition good enough for powder coating. I mean, won't they need to be smoothed out and all in order for a good clean and smooth finish? They are pretty gouged up, and the hammered paint would hide most of it, and take your mind off of the rest.

I can take some pictures of their condition, unless Phil doesn't mind me posting the pictures he sent to me. I mean, they aren't perfect, but I think they will come out pretty good going the route I'm thinking.

Dan

No problem here with the use of photos.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts