Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wanted to have a specific graphic (cartoon character) on the sides of my tank. Is there some newer technology that replaces hand painting that one can use nowadays? Maybe do-it-yourself decals that can be clearcoated over? Or is paint the only real option still?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am doing all of my graphics with vinyl. There is very thin vinyl that can be cleared over. I would go talk to a local sign shop and see what they have to say. The shop you choose will have to use a vinyl printer too do the job. the main thing is to have thin vinyl. If you can't find a good sign shop to work with you I have a close friend that has a sign business and can do the job. I would just need the JPEG image and the size you want it to be.

Thanks,

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I am doing all of my graphics with vinyl. There is very thin vinyl that can be cleared over. I would go talk to a local sign shop and see what they have to say. The shop you choose will have to use a vinyl printer too do the job. the main thing is to have thin vinyl. If you can't find a good sign shop to work with you I have a close friend that has a sign business and can do the job. I would just need the JPEG image and the size you want it to be.

Thanks,

Jeremy

I worked for a sign shop in the summer of 09 and this was a very common project for us. We designed, cut and installed graphics on the local Sherriff's patrol cars as well as ambulances and fire trucks. Bikes are very easy compared to most of the stuff we did. A good premium vinyl is warranted for seven years, but if properly cared for will last much longer. My wife and I actually wend down and had some graphics cut for her helmet today. They look great.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
I worked for a sign shop in the summer of 09 and this was a very common project for us. We designed, cut and installed graphics on the local Sherriff's patrol cars as well as ambulances and fire trucks. Bikes are very easy compared to most of the stuff we did. A good premium vinyl is warranted for seven years, but if properly cared for will last much longer. My wife and I actually wend down and had some graphics cut for her helmet today. They look great.

Stubby I did several patrol cars for the Cassopolis, Michigan sheriff. Some of those cars can be a pain. They had a Malibu I believe that had the gas door in the way of the stripes. Just takes time. My cousin in law or how ever that would be is a dog catcher there.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I used to help a guy fiberglass surfboards and all of the decals that those guys use are not stickers or vinyl, they use rice paper and print their design on the paper, then when they lay resin over top of the rice paper all the resin gets absorbed into the paper and just leaves the printed design visible. The paper is NOT clear when you print on it, but it is VERY permeable so when you lay fiber glass resin or clear coat over top it just becomes part of that layer and is clear. Its a great way to do decals or custom designs on the cheap. HEREis a link to a site I looked up with paper you can buy (Im sure you can find it cheaper than this). I know there are also digital printers who will print on rice paper for you but they may have a minimum on how many they will run for you. It may seem unconventional but Im telling you, this stuff works great.

cody

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Planning to install the GP Woody decals on the flat plastic side panels and the GP Honda Gel Dome round decal on the tank. Will paint the tank & side panels bright red and clear coat over the Woody decal and place the Gel Dome decal on the clear coated tank:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.